View Full Version : Grey Market Epson Printers Being Sold by...Best Buy?

Jason Dunn
07-31-2005, 07:00 PM
I had a strange experience last week. I bought an Epson R200 (http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2423685/prsrt=1) inkjet printer about a month ago, and today I decided to call Epson tech support about an issue that has bothered me for almost a decade (I kid you not): in every Epson printer I've ever owned, dating back to the mid-90's, the default paper size after installing the driver is A4. I live in Canada - we use 8.5 x 11" paper just like the rest of North America. A4 is a European paper format, yet for some reason every printer driver Epson has released in the past decade has put A4 as the default when I've installed it. And if you don't go into the printer options and change the default from A4 to 8.5 x 11", you'll end up with a mess because the printer continues to feed the 8.5 x 11" sheet through and prints where there's no paper. Ugly!

To the point of my story though: I called Epson tech support to report this issue, a decade late, and the tech asked for the serial number of my printer. I gave it to him, and he said it wasn't "right". I repeated it again, very slowly, and he said it wasn't right. I repeated it a third time, letter by letter, pausing between each character. "Sorry, that's still not right" he said. I had to stop myself from cursing at the tech, who's obviously just reading from a screen and can't think beyond it (the proof of this was his confusion over whether or not my month old printer was still under warranty). Then a memory surfaced: when I bought the R200 at Best Buy, I thought it was rather strange that the box had English and Spanish on it - no French. Being from Canada, I'm used to seeing bilingual boxes, but Spanish? The only explanation I could think of is that this printer was meant to be sold in the USA, and thus the serial number was not in Epson Canada's database.

Grey market products are fairly common from discount online stores, but a big-box chain like Best Buy? Quite surprising. My concern is that if I do need some real tech support on this printer, I won't be able to get it because I won't have a valid serial number. I guess I might have to call Epson tech support in the US. :roll:

yada88
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
That's a pretty bad situation. I had something similar happen to me once. I had an accidental damage protection on my ipaq 3970 (which i got replaced like 8 times). Anyway, one time when i called, i repeated the serial number 3 times and the guy was like "it's not in our system. where'd you get it" I told him that Compaq had sent it to me as a replacement. He claimed this was impossible. Wasn't in his system. I then gave him the case number, he looked it up and said, oh, there it is. Could simply be a case of stupid people operating stupid computer systems. Good luck with your wranglings.

OSUKid7
08-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I had a problem with my HP xb2000 Notebook Expansion Base. I chatted with HP online (glad I didn't waste the time on the phone on hold with them) and apparently they didn't have my serial number on file. I went so far as to take a picture of the sticker and put it on my web server and link it to the support guy for him to finally believe that I was giving him the right number. An hour later, he said I'd have to email my proof of purchase to prove it was under warranty.

Good news is I did that, and they're shipping me a new xb2000 now. :)

Philip Colmer
08-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't appreciate manufacturers being so picky about where their products are bought, to be honest. Adobe do this as well - if you buy a US copy of their software and try to get support in the UK, they outright refuse.

It isn't the same scenario as DVDs where you have companies buying the distribution rights, so I don't really understand why they have such a big problem about it ... Grey imports or personal purchases happen because of lack of availability of a particular model or because one country (e.g. US) sells something considerably cheaper than another country (e.g. UK).

--Philip

bikeman
08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Actually, you're lucky if you get a company to honor the warranty on a grey market item. I bought a number of grey market camera items from a large, honest camera store in Manhattan. They clearly identified the items as grey market (even to having photocopied instruction manuals rather than the originals), because Canon would not honor the American warranty on grey market items! I personally have no problem with the store - they clearly identified the items and the advantages (price, availability) and disadvantages (warranty) of grey market items. I would have a problem with a store not revealing that items are grey. That would be cause for an immediate return and a letter to the local consumer affairs group.

bluemax
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
What about Best Buy's responsibility here. If this was really for the US and not Canada, they were probably selling in violation of agreements they have with Epson. Not to mention gray market trade laws that could make the practice illegal.

Best Buy seems to be going out of their way to alienate customers. Look at these -
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.olesker08mar08,1,76004.column?ctrack=1&cset=true
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/07/05/national1332EDT0564.DTL

IMHO Best Buy isn't

Bill B.