View Full Version : Chris Lanier Weighs in on Xbox 360 Media Playback

Jason Dunn
07-27-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/07/26/59712.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/07/26/59712.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Unlike standalone Extenders we have now that use dedicated processors to decode the media, the Xbox 360 will have more then enough power to do full software decode. Your going to need to use the Xbox Live Marketplace to allow people to purchase software decoders for third party formats. This will solve the problem of licensing it and included it in the shipping Xbox (which raises the price). Let the third parties develop the codec’s and sell them at there set prices."</i><br /><br />That's Chris' solution for the Xbox 360 only playing WMV content - and I think it's a great idea. What's interesting though is that all this speculation about what media it will support is just that - speculation. Microsoft hasn't come out and said what it would support, but if you look at their digital media platform strategy in general, they support MP3 because they have to, and WMA/WMV because they want to. I'm suspecting that the Xbox 360 will be no different out of the box - but because it's more of a connected platform than the original Xbox was, there's much more opportunity to allow third parties to expand it. I wonder if there are any technical or political hurdles that would stand in the way of an Xbox 360 playing DivX files?

Queasy
08-01-2005, 06:31 PM
If the 360 is to perform as advertised as a media center extender, it needs to have the ability to play video formats other than WMV. Otherwise, it is gimped.

Sierex
08-02-2005, 06:21 AM
it's all about cost... push a system out the door at the lowest price possible, and have the consumer by the extras that best fit their needs... half of the consumers aren't going to care or want a divx or mov codec... so for the half that do, they've got the option to buy... for the half that don't, no extra hidden cost in the console price. makes sense... hell, the xbox 1 didn't have support for the formats, so any trade-off is a better trade-off.