View Full Version : Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Due In August?

Chris Gohlke
06-23-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/06/19/54096.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/chrisl/archive/2005/06/19/54096.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft have been steadily testing an update for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. The update which will RTM in August is expected to include support for the upcoming Xbox 360 and the following: Native digital cable, Content Protection, Improve burning (DRM, network, Hi-def, DVD-RAM), MCX on WinCE clients (Babylon, TV2 as stretch goal), Playback reliability, Running 3rd party apps out of proc, Address top usability issues, Platform Security, and Additional languages and locales. The update is currently being beta tested and is at Beta 2 stage. A release candidate 0 is expected to be released late July with an RTM following on August 12th for English, French, German, Korean and Japanese versions. Dutch, Italian and Simplified Chinese versions are expected to follow 2 weeks later."</i><br /><br />Looks like you MCE users will be seeing an update in the next few months. Of course, not surprising with the upcoming integration with Xbox 360.

Jon Childs
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know what "native digital cable" means? It almost sounds like I will be able to get my digital channels on an MCE computer, but wouldnt that require some kind of cablecard ready tuner board?

ale_ers
06-23-2005, 08:24 PM
I still have not upgraded from 2004 to 2005. I have been worried there would be a problem. As these systems are all about reliability; I've taken a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach.

Felix Torres
06-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know what "native digital cable" means? It almost sounds like I will be able to get my digital channels on an MCE computer, but wouldnt that require some kind of cablecard ready tuner board?

It means it'll support Cablecard if somebody ships cablecard-capable tuners.