View Full Version : dpreview Looks at the Samsung Digimax V700

Jason Dunn
05-28-2005, 07:00 PM
"Introduced at the start of 2005, the Digimax V700 is Samsung's second attempt to break into the top end of the compact market with a feature-packed yet very keenly-priced 7 megapixel model, and the first to be available worldwide. Samsung, one of the world's largest manufacturers of everything from heavy industrial machinery to TFT screens, dishwashers, mobile phones and of course, cameras. Despite some success in the 35mm compact camera boom, Samsung's seemingly many, many attempts to crack the digital camera market have proved less successful (not helped by the fact that there are so many models in its range, many only available in certain parts of the world). So is the V700 - a direct competitor to models such as Canon's S70 and the Pentax 750Z - the camera to finally put Samsung firmly on the map as a serious contender? At first glance it certainly looks promising."

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/samsung-v700-colors.gif

You know, as much as I like Samsung products (and trust me, I do!) I have a hard time getting amped about their cameras. They seem rather ho-hum in the design department, although the specs are fairly impressive. The killer downside for this though is the 0.3 second shutter lag time...which is ridiculously bad. :?