View Full Version : Microsoft the Media Juggernaut?

Jason Dunn
05-26-2005, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1381&tag=nl.e539' target='_blank'>http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1381&tag=nl.e539</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Three weeks ago, when I penned my third piece on how Microsoft is very much poised to dominate the media player and authoring landscape (the other two posts are here, and here, and there’s also a video of my whiteboard session on the topic), I had no idea what Microsoft had waiting in the wings. First, its announcement with Philips and second, the launch of the next version of its mobile operating platform (code-named Magneto, but officially Windows Mobile 5.0). Not to mention that Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates served notice to Apple and the Podderati (Dan Gillmor agrees that the iPod’s runaway success is unsustainable). After you add it all up — how deeply entrenched into the global infrastructure (computers, other devices, telecommunications networks, content providers, etc.) Windows Media already is, what will happen as a result of the Philips announcement, and the Magneto news — is there any doubt that Microsoft is not only poised to repeat its successful Windows formula, but that that success will, over the long run, actually dwarf the company’s success with Windows?"</i><br /><br />An interesting article, and one that I happen to agree with - it's one thing to have a hot product from one company (iPod), but it's entirely another to have a platform with the potential of hundreds of devices. Windows Media is taking over, and I can't say that I mind. ;-)

klinux
05-26-2005, 09:27 PM
[i] Windows Media is taking over, and I can't say that I mind. ;-)

I would, or rather, I have mixed feeling about it. It is nice when companies get together and make offerings on a standard. Case in point: DVD. And it would be nice to be in a world where there is no 16 different audio codecs and 5 different video codecs/containers.

However, I don't think the end is anywhere near i.e. Windows Media taking over. Tivo/Replay proba ships more unit in a month than sales of MCE in a year. Cable companies are not likely going to distribute MCE as their OS and would instead use their own. DivX and H.264 is just as storng as WMV. Apple has a foothold in (legal) music distribution over internet, etc.

Future is still murky.

Jason Dunn
05-26-2005, 09:43 PM
However, I don't think the end is anywhere near i.e. Windows Media taking over. Tivo/Replay proba ships more unit in a month than sales of MCE in a year. Cable companies are not likely going to distribute MCE as their OS and would instead use their own. DivX and H.264 is just as storng as WMV. Apple has a foothold in (legal) music distribution over internet, etc.

I think you're mistaking MCE for Windows Media - one is a product of a platform, one is the platform itself. It really comes down to codecs more than anything else - you're right, there are more Tivo's than MCE computers out there, but if they both played WMV/WMA, Microsoft would still be winning. ;-) But who knows, maybe Apple has a trump card here...

Jason Eaton
05-27-2005, 01:51 PM
...But who knows, maybe Apple has a trump card here...

I would say Apple does have a Trump card currently and it is face up for all to see. Mainstream recognition and popularity. Now before you go storming off to the quote button, hear me out.

If you take a non-tech person, sat them down and threw out the names and tech specs of the respective products, the first thing is that their eyes would gloss over about anything technical this or that but they would show a strong recognition with Apple (right or wrong) and would be more apt to buy that product based alot on marketing.

Microsoft isn't sexy. The names they use, the way they market their items. It isn't there. Their start something new campaign is a basic ad companies stock materials. Throw in the multi-ethnic, the diverse skill level crowd, the tame pacing, lack of buzz and presto you have MS products.

People want to be a part of something different. Marketing to what they have or currently are isn't stimulating. Why would you buy something if it doesn't make an impact?

So what I am getting at in a long way is, *IF* Apple had a product they could sell more items then Microsoft at this point to the non-tech public (in my opinion of course) based on recognition and product appeal.

But Apple doesn't have a product, they may never have a product, so I think Apple's trump card has a shelf life currently. MS has a platform and as dull as they make it, it is here, it is now, and there is little choice in competition that matches the whole MCE experience.