View Full Version : LightScribe Signs Up New Partners

Jason Dunn
05-25-2005, 08:56 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.lightscribe.com/doc/0524_LightScribe_Milestone_release_FINAL.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.lightscribe.com/doc/0524_LightScribe_Milestone_release_FINAL.pdf</a><br /><br /></div><i>"LightScribe today announced that a number of additional leading optical drive and system manufacturers, software developers, and hardware and media brands have licensed its Direct Disc Labeling technology. These new licensees include leading optical disc drive manufacturers Panasonic Communications, Panasonic Shikoku Electronics, Pioneer, and QSI; hardware brands Asustek, Freecom Technologies, I/OMagic, Lite-On IT, ProStar Computer and Sager Midern Computer; media brands BenQ and Maxell; software developers Acoustica, Droppix, New Tech Infosystems and NewSoft Technology; and system integrator Micro-Star International. LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling technology is already being incorporated by optical drive and media manufacturers, software developers, media and computer brands, including optical drive manufacturers, Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Lite-On IT, Philips-BenQ Data Storage, and Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology; hardware brands BenQ, HP, LaCie and Philips; media manufacturers CMC Magnetics Corporation, Mitsubishi Chemical Company, and Moser Baer India Limited; media brands HP, Imation, Memorex, Philips, TDK, and Verbatim; and software developers CyberLink, InterVideo, MicroVision Development, Nero, Roxio, and Sonic Solutions."</i><br /><br />Looks like LightScribe continues to gain momentum - those names listed above are all the major players on the drive, media, and software market for DVD/CD burners.

randalllewis
05-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I am pleased to read this! I love my Lightscribe drive. I replaced the CDROM drive in my computer with the Lightscribe so I now have two burners, but I can't imagine using the non-Lightscribe drive. The quality of the images is excellent. Yes, the process is a bit slow, but I can use my home made CDs in my car player now with complete confidence. I've had too many labels come off of car casette desks and get jammed in the player to ever be comfortable with stick-on labels on CDs going into my car CD player. I think Lightscribe is the best new technology of the year for regular PC users.

I have had no problem find Lightscribe compatible CDRs, but CompUSA keeps saying Lightscribe DVDRs are "coming soon." Are they available elsewhere?

The software that came with my HP Lightscribe drive is adequate, but anyword on when big name media programs may incorporate the technology? I didn't recognize the names of the software firms in Jason's positng.

Jason Dunn
05-25-2005, 11:32 PM
The software that came with my HP Lightscribe drive is adequate, but anyword on when big name media programs may incorporate the technology? I didn't recognize the names of the software firms in Jason's positng.

What burning software do you use now? Roxio makes Easy CD Creator, Nero makes Nero Burning ROM, and Sonic makes MyDVD among others, and between those three they pretty much own the market.

randalllewis
05-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I am not at the home PC at the moment and can't recall the name but I have used the software that came with the HP Lightscribe Drive. I haven't used anything other than this program because I wouldn't use those sticky labels in my CD player. Are you saying that Roxio and Nero's current programs will work with Lightscribe? I guess I assumed the label software would need to be updated to work with this technology.

Jason Dunn
05-26-2005, 06:24 AM
...I have used the software that came with the HP Lightscribe Drive.

That would be the SureThing program.

Are you saying that Roxio and Nero's current programs will work with Lightscribe? I guess I assumed the label software would need to be updated to work with this technology.

Nero, yes - there was a patch that came out about a month ago. Not sure about Roxio's app.