View Full Version : iPod Dominance...Wish Lists Tell The Tale

Jason Dunn
04-27-2005, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/zg/-/03/ce/ref=pd_zg_cam_rt_mw_ce_bu/102-0359359-3520923' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/zg/-/03/ce/ref=pd_zg_cam_rt_mw_ce_bu/102-0359359-3520923</a><br /><br /></div>We all know how the iPod is the dominant hard-drive based audio player on the market today, but when I saw a certain page at Amazon that fact was greatly reinforced. Amazon has a series of pages that summarize the most wished-for items. As in, the items that are most commonly added to wish lists. The top five for electronics?<br /><br />1. Apple 20 GB iPod<br />2. Apple 512 MB iPod Shuffle<br />3. Apple 4 GB iPod Mini Pink<br />4. Apple 4 GB iPod Mini Silver<br />5. Duracell MN1500B8 AA<br /><br />8O <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/zg/-/03/ce/ref=pd_zg_cam_rt_mw_ce_bu/102-0359359-3520923">Looking at the next five</a>, I kid you not, they're all iPods or iPod accessories. It's certainly an iPod world we're living in, no doubt about it...

Kursplat
04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
That list must be highly dynamic. I just looked and the top 10 include (among the iPod stuff): a Canon Powershot camera, a Logitech driving wheel, and a Zen Micro MP3 player. The list was definitely iPod-heavy, but in a matter of hours, the list seems to have changed significantly.

Gary Sheynkman
04-27-2005, 02:17 AM
The top thing on my wishlist is for all iPod to DIE.....can it be granted??

Honestly...this cultural phenomenon thing is getting on my nerves

Jason Dunn
04-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Hmm - as of right now the list is exactly like it was when I posted. I wonder if Amazon is showing us different lists? That shouldn't be the case though...what's the point of that?

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Top 10 practically all iPod stuff here. Curious to see batteries in the list though! Are batteries hard to get or something? =P

Jason Dunn
04-27-2005, 03:06 AM
Are batteries hard to get or something? =P

Yeah, I wondered about that too - it seems really odd. Unless people are getting devices that need regular batteries and there are a LOT of them...that's likely it.

Doug Johnson
04-27-2005, 05:15 AM
It might be a commentary on the price of the iPod too: "I can't afford an iPod, therefore I will WISH for one..."

Other MP3 players are more affordable, and don't have to be added to a WISH list. :-)

Phronetix
04-27-2005, 07:09 AM
So, is there a smidge of an anti-iPod sentiment around these parts? Why?

Mr. MacinTiger
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Now, why is it I don't see an 8O post about how MS apallingly owns 90%+ of the OS market? In my opinion, that's your real story right there! :twisted:

Chris Gohlke
04-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Hmm - as of right now the list is exactly like it was when I posted. I wonder if Amazon is showing us different lists? That shouldn't be the case though...what's the point of that?

I am seeing the same list ast Kursplat with the Powershot at #3 even though I followed the link directly. I wonder if it is somewhat localized based on your Amazon login?

Jason Eaton
04-27-2005, 01:38 PM
So, is there a smidge of an anti-iPod sentiment around these parts? Why?

Why ask why...? Try an iRiver today. :roll:

Now that that is out of the way. Call it fashion, call it mindless following, call it over priced, call it whatever you want to try and persuade people the sky is polka dot colored but the fact is people *like* the iPod.

The word *like* is a very subjective thing and different to everyone, but what can't be argued is that iPod is at the top right now. Give it the credit it deserves.

BugDude10
04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh, man, those Duracell MN1500B8 AAs are so HOT! 8O

Jason Dunn
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
...but what can't be argued is that iPod is at the top right now. Give it the credit it deserves.

That's what I just did. :-) My post pointed out that point didn't it? That was my idea anyway...

Jason Eaton
04-27-2005, 02:38 PM
...but what can't be argued is that iPod is at the top right now. Give it the credit it deserves.

That's what I just did. :-) My post pointed out that point didn't it? That was my idea anyway...

No doubt here for you. You know the first steps to conversion are doubt, disbelief, anger, then acknowledgement. Your almost there. :wink:

As of this morning, the Creative Labs Zen micro broke into the 10th spot. So is this the new google fight? The Amazon wish list *vs* for products? :)

Kursplat
04-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm real curious how the Wish List is calculated. The Zen micro was #10 when I posted yesterday. The Powershot was #3. I believe the Logitech driving wheel was #9.

Of course, the other 7 belonged to the all-wanting iPud and its accessories.

Anyone have experience with the Sandisk MP3 players? The 1GB player for $130 sounds tempting, especially when it doesn't require additional software to load songs.

Jonathon Watkins
04-28-2005, 09:28 PM

No doubt here for you. You know the first steps to conversion are doubt, disbelief, anger, then acknowledgement. Your almost there. :wink:

Nah. Jason has a Teflon coating of hype resistance. There are better and cheaper players on the market. The Apple marketing budget has been well spent though. :roll:

The Apple exaggerations and cultish devotions just gets more than a tad grating at times.....

Jonathon Watkins
04-28-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm real curious how the Wish List is calculated. The Zen micro was #10 when I posted yesterday. The Powershot was #3. I believe the Logitech driving wheel was #9.

Yup, I see exactly the same as you.

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-28-2005, 10:11 PM
That's odd, I don't. I'm seeing the same thing Jason did!

Kursplat
04-28-2005, 10:51 PM
It must be regional. Canada must be more cultish when it comes to things like iPods then in the US or UK. :P

Jason Eaton
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Nah. Jason has a Teflon coating of hype resistance. There are better and cheaper players on the market.

Oh yeah. I know that. =) The day he switches will probably be like some country song where he loses his house, his dog, his car until there is no where else to go but Apple. Then he might become a Priest or something and shun technology. :D

I think people just need to ride through the storm a little longer with which ever format they like and works for them and the market will correct things in time.

Jonathon Watkins
04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I think people just need to ride through the storm a little longer with which ever format they like and works for them and the market will correct things in time.

Hmmm, maybe. Or we could end up in an interoperability mess. :?

My family bought a betamax player in the 80's. I am using MP3s, but would like the smaller sizes of WMAs etc, but I don't want to end up the wrong side of any format war. I don't see Apple backing away from thier AAC format and I don't see any good way for the digital media format wars to end. :x

Maybe the best bet if all players support OGG, MP3, MP3 Pro, ACC, WMA etc. After all, it's only software! :wink:

Jason Eaton
04-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, maybe. Or we could end up in an interoperability mess. :?

Well that is the bottom line I suppose. No company makes a format to help the customer, but to resell items. How many people re-purchased things when we went from records to tapes to cds? How many Disney movies did people repurchase when they went from VHS to DVDs (and the wonderful Disney Vault thinking)?

HD-DVDs, Blue Ray DVDS, Flash memory storage (compact flash, SD flash, etc), even cell phone makers cohercening technology further to make a buck instead of making things easier.

Perhaps there is a slight benfit to these technologies, but that is so you watch the right hand while the left hand opens your wallet.

So in AAC vs WMA for music... and I went MP3. :) Storage space is cheap.