View Full Version : I broke my camcorder :-(

Mike Temporale
03-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Argh! The timing couldn't be worse. I've got my son's first birthday party in just 2 weeks, and during today's Easter festivities, my camcorder took horrible turn for the worse. After filming our little egg hunt, I noticed that the tap was close to the end. I popped it out, only to see that the door on the tape wasn't closing right and had grabbed a little part of the tape. It didn't look like anything serious. I fixed the door and reinserted the tape. Now, I can't open the tape door, and it won't power on. I even tried using the backup battery in case it was a power problem, but that didn't change anything. :evil:

Now I have to find a repair shop that's willing to do the work in under 2 weeks. :cry:

Jason Dunn
03-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Ouch! That sucks man...I hope it doesn't cost you a fortune to get fixed either.

Darius Wey
03-27-2005, 03:57 AM
That bites. :(

Hope it all turns out well for you, Mike.

Mike Temporale
03-27-2005, 01:47 PM
I found a place (http://www.camerarepaircanada.com) to repair it. He's not too far from me, but his hours suck. 10-5 Monday to Friday. I work 7:30-4:00 and I don't think I can make it from work to his place before he closes. :evil: I might just have to take some time off work for this. :?

I'm going to call first thing Monday morning and see what options I have. Hopefully he's willing to do the work quickly. :(

Mike Temporale
03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Crap. Just realized that I won't be able to tape my kids hunting for eggs when we tour the families today. I guess my Canon s400 will have to do. :(

Darius Wey
03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Mike, just out of interest, which camcorder is this?

Mike Temporale
03-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Mike, just out of interest, which camcorder is this?

Oh yeah, never mentioned that, eh? It's a Panasonic PV-DV402. It's not as small as some of the newer ones, but it's only 3 years old. :wink:

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/media/users/47/IMG_2839.JPG

Mike Temporale
03-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Just got the estimate, $189 plus taxes to get it repaired. He should have it done by this coming Monday which means I'll still be able to use it at my sons 1st birthday party the next weekend. Oh, and I will loose a "little bit" of the tape that was in there.

:cry: two hundred bucks.... ouch.

Mike Temporale
04-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I got the camcorder back on Wednesday, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but the party is tomorrow, so I guess I better hurry and do that, eh!

I have to give credit to this shop, they did a good and fast job. I just hope it works. 8)

Jason Dunn
04-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Cool, good to hear. Hope the party goes well. :D

Mike Temporale
04-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm happy to report that the camera worked flawlessly. I was extremely nervous about using it again, but luckly, there was no problems. Now I just need to focus some time on getting all my content off of the tapes on onto my machine where I can back it up! :oops:

Darius Wey
04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm happy to report that the camera worked flawlessly. I was extremely nervous about using it again, but luckly, there was no problems.

Great news, Mike! Glad to see balance in the universe has been restored once more! :D

Now I just need to focus some time on getting all my content off of the tapes on onto my machine where I can back it up! :oops:

Yeah, that's always the time consuming part! :|