View Full Version : Ireland's Movie Cinemas go Digital

Jason Dunn
03-23-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120130,tk,dn032205X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120130,tk,dn032205X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Digital cinema is coming to Ireland in a big way. A project is under way to install a digital cinema network throughout the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, with the aim of converting all of the country's cinema screens to digital format...Avica Technology is bringing the digital presentation systems to 515 screens throughout Ireland to run alongside traditional 35mm film projectors, says Kevin Cummins, spokesman for Avica Europe, the European arm of the Santa Monica, California, digital cinema technology and services company."</i><br /><br />I've been longing to see a movie in a digital theatre, but as of yet there are no digital theatres in my city. Bah! :? For those of you that have seen them, what are they like? Were you surprised by the difference, or was it subtle?

Felix Torres
03-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Think so.
It is subtle but the digital version looked a bit sharper with better color purity. Plus, of course, there were no scratches or debris defacing the digital version, even weeks into the run.
And, no strobe effect on wagon wheels... ;-)

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-23-2005, 05:28 AM
I watched I, Robot in digital. It's really amazing! It looked really clear and sharp; the only problem was this stuck red pixel..

Jason Dunn
03-23-2005, 06:16 AM
...the only problem was this stuck red pixel..

8O THAT WOULD DRIVE ME CRAZY!

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Well, it was really really tiny, and I only noticed it during a fairly dark scene. After that you'll only see it if you looked for it.

Kevin & Beth Remhof
03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Well, it was really really tiny, and I only noticed it during a fairly dark scene. After that you'll only see it if you looked for it.

Oh man, don't tell me that. If I ever go see a digital projection movie, I won't be able to avoid looking for it. It's the same with the reel change symbols. After I discovered them, I now see them all the time. But, those aren't nearly as bad as "cap codes" in films.

I have yet to see a digital film but I'd like to. The nearest theater is about an hour away. I've gone there for Imax 3-D but that's about it.

`helios
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
as soon as it comes out, I'll let you all know what it's like....

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Oh man, don't tell me that. If I ever go see a digital projection movie, I won't be able to avoid looking for it. It's the same with the reel change symbols. After I discovered them, I now see them all the time. But, those aren't nearly as bad as "cap codes" in films.

I think I was just too busy enjoying the movie to let it bother me! :D So to me this is just a minor setback for the awesome quality the digital projectors offer.