View Full Version : Time drift?

Jason Dunn
03-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Has anyone with MCE 2005 noticed that their computer tends to have trouble keeping accurate time? For several weeks the automatic time updated wasn't working for me - it kept giving errors - and now even though it is working, my system got 2 minutes out of sync in less than 24 hours. It's very strange, and very irritating. I can probably use a third party time-sync tool, but I'd prefer not to.

dr_doak
03-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Last night I noticed that my newly built WMC05 system was indeed off by two minutes. I reset it and will check again tonight.

Also no luck with auto time sync (tried two different sites).

dr_doak
03-03-2005, 03:06 AM
OK, found a good solution:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services \W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

Change the "SpecialPollInterval" value to a number you want. Might want to make sure that it's actually in decimal and not hex when you enter the new value (in seconds). That caught me a few times... Then reboot!

I set mine to sync every 4 hours.

There are Group Policy options you can get to in gpedit.msc under "Computer Config -> Admin Templates -> System -> Windows Time Service." It looked like one of them might adjust for inaccuracies in the system clock, but it seems like the things I changed either broke something or did nothing...

Also, I found that for Media Center, the .NET service seems to be what breaks the time services. Either update it or reinstall it and then it seems to work.

Jason Dunn
03-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Fascinating - thanks for the tip, I'll try the reg hack!