View Full Version : Ejecting removable media?

dr_doak
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I just got Media Center 05 installed and functioning, but I have a question: Is there some way to actually eject a flash card so I can remove it safely? I may be missing something obvious, but I haven't seen anything that looks like "eject" in the controls.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
03-01-2005, 04:35 PM
If the card isn't being written/read to, you can just pop it out/remove it. There's no need to eject it...

dr_doak
03-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I've had a few cards get corrupted doing that before... Seems like Windows occasionally does background writes that are delayed by some amount of time. Maybe 1 out of 50 times I've just yanked them out I get a delayed write failed error. Though, admittedly, that scares me less than when my HDD was doing that :lol:.

Of course, I've had a lot of my Sandisk cards go corrupt just sitting there too, so it could be coincidence ;).

Thanks

Darius Wey
03-02-2005, 03:57 AM
What Jason has said is suffice. However, if you really are concerned, the proper way for ejecting media is to open up My Computer, find the flash card drive, right-click it and select "Eject". However, your card won't physically eject unless your card reader has a spring-load mechanism. So if you don't get any error messages stating you can't eject it at this stage, then you can happily pull it out of the card reader without having to worry about background writes and what not.

Jason Dunn
03-02-2005, 04:23 AM
I haven't seen delayed write errors in quite a while - not since the USB 1.1 days. I usually wait 5-10 seconds after shutting down whatever app was accessing the card...

dr_doak
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Now that you mention it, I think pretty much all of the times I've seen that error was on that one system...

My ego demands that I mention that I am well aware of how to manage USB devices in XP ;). Was just curious about any eject commands from within MediaCenter.

I'll just try and not be paranoid about it then. Thanks to all.