View Full Version : DVD- or DVD+ ... does it matter if your burner can handle both?

karinatwork
02-02-2005, 05:48 PM
The age old question about the "-" and the "+". This time around, I have a burner that can handle both. The prices for both are the same in the store. Is there a reason why I should use a PLUS over a MINUS or vice versa???
Thanks for any insights!!! :D

K.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
It largely depends on the types and age of the DVD players you're planning on playing the discs back on. -R historically has had better compatibility with DVD players, but most modern DVD players will handle -R and +R equally well. Myself, I tend to opt for -R but also have some +R discs.

karinatwork
02-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Awesome, thanks for the information! It's just confusing at times... why the heck did they ever come up with two standards... 8O

Thanks again!

K.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Awesome, thanks for the information! It's just confusing at times... why the heck did they ever come up with two standards...

I know, it's stupid. And now it's happening again with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. :roll:

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-02-2005, 06:44 PM
If you're not going to use the discs on a DVD player or older DVD drives, I say go with +. They tend to come in faster varieties, and they also tend to write better at speeds higher than they are rated for.

It helps if the disc is made by Taiyo Yuden too. :wink:

Doug Johnson
02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
TIs there a reason why I should use a PLUS over a MINUS or vice versa???
I have had the best luck with disc quality and compatibility with Ritek (/Ridata) branded +R discs. I have tried a ton of different disc options, and these have been the most consistent for me. These are not usually found in stores, though, so they have to be ordered online. I use meritline.com and blank-cd-cdr.com most of the time, depending on who has the better deal.

Next in line would be Maxell -R discs, available at Office Depot.

Unfortunately, most of the time it is hit or miss. I have had some discs that play on anything, and other discs that won't record on any burner. The -R formats seem to be more consistent in quality, but I have had better luck with compatibility with +R once I find a good disc.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Now that's interesting. Normally -R is better at compatibility. Also note that it might be because your writer has the ability to set the booktype for the +R to DVD-ROM.