View Full Version : Want to Join the Digital Media Thoughts Review Team? We Want You!

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Do you have a talent for writing and a desire to share you opinions with others? If so, you might be just the type of person we're seeking for the Digital Media Thoughts review team. We're looking for individuals who enjoy trying out new software and hardware for their Windows and Mac PCs, and who are willing to share what they find with our community. Above all, reviewers enjoy writing on a subject they're passionate about – the biggest difference between a Digital Media Thoughts reviewer and a reviewer from a mainstream publication is a personal commitment and interest in the subject matter.<br /><br />Being on the review team is a volunteer position, but hey, fame and glory last forever right? ;-) Reviewers will have the opportunity to try out the latest digital media software and hardware (some of which they'll get to keep), and be given an opportunity to share their findings with the greater community. Digital Media Thoughts is a professional publication with established copy editing and layout procedures, so if you're looking to gain experience as a writer, writing for us is good training.<br /><!><br />In order to qualify for a position on the review team, we're asking those who are interested to write a sample review of a digital media software title or hardware accessory that they own. The review should be between 500 and 1000 words in length, should be of a current product that's available on the market today, and be based on the Thoughts Media Inc. review template (<a href="http://images.thoughtsmedia.com/files/reviewtemplate.doc">DOC</a>|<a href="http://images.thoughtsmedia.com/files/reviewtemplate.pdf">PDF</a>). Reviews will be judged on the quality of writing (spelling, grammar, and terseness), the analytical skills of the reviewer, and the adherence to our template. While we have a talented copy editor to help polish up the reviews, you should submit a review that has been checked over several times for accurate spelling, grammar, and working hyperlinks. Sample reviews should be submitted as a single Word document with embedded images. Be sure to keep the original images in the event that your review is selected for publication (once graphics are embedded into a Word document, they lose quality when extracted).<br /><br />The only expectation for being on the review team is that you write one review a month. It's a volunteer position, but it's still important that everyone on the review team is productive and active. Obviously there are exceptions (illness, vacation, etc.) but if you want to have your work read by 6,000+ people a day, we need you to commit to writing one review a month.<br /><br />We will be accepting sample reviews up until February 21st, and by March 14th the new members of the Digital Media Thoughts review team will be announced on the site. Please submit your sample reviews to me via email ([email protected]). If you have any questions that might be relevant to other reviewers, please ask them in this discussion thread. Otherwise, please send me an email, not a private message. Thank you!

hoffm11
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
This is seems cool especially since I have experiences with mp3 players and pocket pcs...

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 05:08 PM
This is seems cool especially since I have experiences with mp3 players and pocket pcs...

I'd welcome you to try out - I want to get things to the point where we're publishing a new review three times a week, and to do that, we need lots of people who are interested in writing reviews. :-)

JasonM
02-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Count me in..PMC and mp3's and DVR's...boy lots of letters!

Jason Dunn
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Count me in..PMC and mp3's and DVR's...boy lots of letters!

Great, I look forward to reading your sample review!

Kursplat
02-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm curious how the article assignments work. Do you have a list of products that need to be reviewed and the reviewers pick from the list, are products assigned to reviewers by you? Can a reviewer submit a review about something they have but was not on your list (if you have one)?

Can anyone submit a review of a product, even if they are not a member of the review team? I ask this in case I want to contribute, but can't afford to commit to one a month.

Jason Dunn
02-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm curious how the article assignments work. Do you have a list of products that need to be reviewed and the reviewers pick from the list, are products assigned to reviewers by you? Can a reviewer submit a review about something they have but was not on your list (if you have one)?

Pretty much all of the above. A reviewer can pick any product they want to review, and I'll often forward press releases of items our reviewers might be interested in. It's very rare for me to assign a review - it's always voluntary.

Can anyone submit a review of a product, even if they are not a member of the review team? I ask this in case I want to contribute, but can't afford to commit to one a month.

Generally speaking, no. We've made exceptions in the past, but it's difficult to reformat reviews to match our template unless they've been designed that way from the start (mostly with images and such). If it's something REALLY interesting/hot, we'll make an exception, but it's rare. You can always contact us if you want to do something along those lines.

JayR
03-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Jason,

Would you still accept a sample review? If so, can I send you a list of proposed SW?

Best regards,

Joost Reijnen

Jason Dunn
03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Absolutely - send the review in! :-)