View Full Version : Time for a new camera... any suggestions

dignow96
01-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Ok guys, I'm in the market for a new still camera. I thought I'd be that guy who asks the "what should I get?" question and see what y'all thought. Here are my basic parameters:

Price: $500 limit
Resolution: 5MP+ (looking at 5 to 7)
Size: smaller the better (I have a 3+ yr old Kodak 4000 something 4MP so smaller than that)
Optical Zoom: 5x at least
Storage format: SD or CF ONLY - I don't need another memory format
Must haves: decent LCD, optical viewport, integrated lens cover, tripod connection, good battery life (400+ pictures per battery or charge), good in low light.

I've been looking at the Pentax Optio 750Z and seem fairly impressed with its stats but I've never used anything but kodak digital cameras so I'd like some thoughts on that model or new directions to point my research. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

djh
01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Although I'm a Nikon user for my main cameras, I have to say you can't go wrong with Canon digicams.

I recently bought my daughter an A95 and this little camera takes great pictures. I also have a Canon S60 that I take if I don't want to lug an SLR around. It's a bit bigger than the A95, but has RAW format and better manual controls. Worth looking at if you want to get beyond simple Point and Shoot. The newer S70 is worthy of consideration as well. It is basically an S60 with higher resolution (7MP against 5MP, but that's no biggie) and black colour.

I don't have much experience of other brands, I'm sure they have good models as well but you can't go wrong with the A95 or S60/70 though.

By the way, I don't believe any digicam could claim to be good in low light.

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-29-2005, 04:53 PM
I think you just answered your own question. It's gotta be one of the Pentaxes. The SV also meets your requirements.