View Full Version : DVD to VCD

jarhead
01-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I am interested in backing up my DVD collection to VCD. Could someone please make a recommendation as to what software would be good for doing this and describe the process to me? Would it be better to get a DVD burner and do it that way?

I am using a p4 laptop running Windows XP. 512MB RAM and approx. 26GB free memory.

I appreciate any suggestions.

backpackerx
01-08-2005, 10:41 PM
If you go the DVD burner route (I would suggest it) then you can get a free program called DVD shrink that compresses regular DVDs to fit onto normal 4.7GB single layer DVD recordable disks. The quality is FAR superior to VCD and noticeably better than the higher bitrate SVCD's.

jarhead
01-09-2005, 01:51 AM
I was told the following from someone I trust very much. What do you guys think about this?

"I would actually wait until the summer or fall.
I believe there is a battle between red and blue laser standards.
Whomever wins will dominate the market and make the other obsolete.
This of course is what will affect you in 2006+. For now, anything on the market is compatible to most DVD blanks.

Personally, I would use a software program to allow you to copy DVD's to a regular CD RW and play from the PC connected to a regular TV screen."

backpackerx
01-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Actually the two standards are both blue laser. They are Blue-ray and HD DVD. These are different than the current dual layer DVD's that are new on the market now. Blue laser (whether blue ray or HD DVD) will eventually be the standard but I don't think you want to wait 1 to 2 years for these to become popular enough that the price for burners and disks are low enough to use for back up purposes.

Ultimately you have zero need for a blue laser solution for your purpose until comercial DVD's based on this standard are the large part of your collection you are backing up. These Blue laser standards hold anywhere from 25 to 50+ Gb where your current DVD's are dual layer and hold 9.4 Gb of data. That means the dual layer burners and DVDs are the best solution for an exact copy of a DVD. These are still somewhat new too and the disks are usually close to $5 a piece as compared to regular recordable 4.7 Gb disks that are getting closer to .25 cents in bulk.

The best thing to do is to research each solution and then decide what is the best for you based on price and function. If price is no object buy the latest. If economy plays in, buy the dual layer capable burner that will burn regular cheap DVD's and newer dual layer DVD's.

The problem with waiting for the next big thing is that there is alwasy a next big thing. When blue laser based DVD products are the norm, chances are there will be a technology in the waiting to replace or enhance it.

Burning DVD's to VCD on regular CD's is cheap and works but the quality suffers and is less than VCR many times. SVCD (super VCD) is the best CD based video format from DVD but is still only about the same quality as VHS. Plus some DVD players don't support VCD's and doing it this way means you will be backing up to an already outdated standard.

jarhead
01-09-2005, 04:11 AM
I appreciate your assistance backpackerx. You seem to be very knowledgable in this area. I guess I will head down to Best Buy tomorrow to see what the sales drones can talk me into buying. I will report back.

Thanks again,
jarhead

backpackerx
01-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Just don't expect to see the blue laser based Blue-Ray or HD DVD products. I think the first consumer Blue Ray recorder was just announced and probably isn't in any stores. If so, it's very expensive. I'd look at a dual layer capable burner that can burn regular single layer DVD too.

Also try Circuit City if you have one. They are on commission as opposed to Best Buy and seem to have a greater product knowledge.

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Ooo, backpackerx, DVD Shrink seems to be just what I've been looking for! Thanks for the tip! Maybe you should compile a list of handy video related utilities. :wink:

backpackerx
01-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Maybe if I get some time. DVD shrink is amazing. It's super easy to use and automatically produces great results. The nice part is that you can strip out extras and subtitles and other languages and many times the video .VOB file is close to the 4.7GB limit of regular DVDs so you don't lose hardly any quality.

I also use DVDshrink to rip the file quickly to .VOB and then use PocketDivxencoder (free) to convert for my PocketPC using BetaPlayer (free). It's like having my own PVP.

jarhead
01-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, I took y'all's advice. I bought a Sony DVD+-RW DL, Nero 6, and downloaded DVD Shrink. It works like a charm. Exactly what I was looking for. I have been able to back up two of my DVD's so far without any hitches. I sure appreciate the suggestions.

This is a pretty cool forum. I might have to hang out here a little more often. Maybe share some of my Adobe expertise :wink:

Adios,
jarhead

backpackerx
01-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Glad it worked. Just pass on your knowledge and we'll all be even :D

kalaban
01-31-2005, 11:37 AM
backpackerx:

Is DVD shrink what I need? I have been trying to make a copy of a DVD I created using Adobe premier elements that plays on my DVD player.

Nero will burn it fine in simulation, but when it goes for actual burn, it tells me it can't write at 4x and there is an end of disk error.

Will this DVD shrink solve this problem or do I need a better program than Nero?

Any help is appreciated.

I may also pick your brain about the pocketdivxx, as I want to convert my moviesI make in Adobe to watch on my HP 4355 pocketpc.

RWC_Zippy
01-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Nero will burn it fine in simulation, but when it goes for actual burn, it tells me it can't write at 4x and there is an end of disk error.

Have you checked and then double checked your burn settings? I know that there is a hugh difference between 'Disc at once' (DAO) and 'Track at once' (TAO) burning modes. Also, the type of volume that you are burning plays a factor; ISO formated discs are much different than UDF formated discs. And then there the copyright on the DVD. I'm pretty sure Nero has something built in to prevent you from burning copyrighted material. What that is and how to get around it I'm not sure.

Here's the url for Nero 6's manual http://nero.com/us/User_Guides_Burning_ROM_6.html

I am sure that someone may be more knowledgeable about this issue than me...

backpackerx
01-31-2005, 05:54 PM
backpackerx:

Is DVD shrink what I need? I have been trying to make a copy of a DVD I created using Adobe premier elements that plays on my DVD player.

Will this DVD shrink solve this problem or do I need a better program than Nero?

Any help is appreciated.

I may also pick your brain about the pocketdivxx, as I want to convert my moviesI make in Adobe to watch on my HP 4355 pocketpc.
To me it sounds like either your burner can't burn at 4x (even some 4x rated burners can't always burn at 4x) or your DVD disks aren't able to handle 4x. When you make the video in Elements are you saving to a DVD format? Is the resulting video file smaller than the 4.7 GB size of the DVD?

DVD shrink is mainly for one thing, making personal backup copies of comercial 9.4GB Dual-Layer DVDs to fit onto regular single layer 4.7GB DVDs.
I do use the ripper function of DVD shrink also to extract the .VOB file (encoded DVD video file) because it works well and then use PocketDivx to convert to DivX for playback on BetaPlayer. PocketDivX is free and completely self explainatory to use. Just make sure you reduce the audio and video bitrates to something your processor can handle. Usually around 500 total bitrate works for most devices.

kalaban
01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Backpackerx:

You ask some good questions that I am not sure of. When I burn my home video to DVD with Adobe elements, it works fine. 9I just export to DVD).

When I try to copy the DVD, it doesn't work. I think I am having trouble with Nero and am looking for a more user friendly program.

Any suggestions. My DVD burner is a SONY Dual Layer and should be able to handle 4x.

Thanks

backpackerx
01-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh, OK. I thought you couldn't even burn the original copy. You want to make copies of a home DVD you already made previously, right? In the future, if you know how many copies you want, select that right in Nero before the first burn. Or, save the disk project files for later use.

If Nero can't copy the previously completed DVD then make sure you aren't putting any copy protection on it when you create it. Also, Nero won't copy comercial DVD I don't think so this is just footage from a video camera that you edited and made in Premiere, correct? Other than that, I don't know what the problem is. I'd try telling it to burn at 2x to see if that helps. Plus, make sure if the source is single layer disk, you're using a single layer for copy and vice versa. Make sure the burning option in Nero is for single layer or dual (if available, don't know) according to the disk you are using.

jarhead
02-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Ok, I have a question. Now that I have been using this set-up for a couple of weeks, I have noticed a strange occurance. When I back-up a DVD with DVDSHRINK, as you know, it will allow me to delete the files once NERO has finished burning them to DVD. However, it looks like there is approximately 20MB disappearing from my hard drive with each DVD I back up. I always empty the folder that was used during the back-up process and empty the recycle bin....so where are those 20 megs going? How do I get rid of them?

Appreciate you,
Jarhead

backpackerx
02-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmmm. Not sure. I should check this too.

I'd do a search for files or folders and leave the name blank. Under options choose size and select anything over say 15 or 20Mb. (20000k) That'll show you every file larger than that size and maybe you can locate them. Just don't delete anything you're not sure of :)

RWC_Zippy
02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Ok, I have a question. Now that I have been using this set-up for a couple of weeks, I have noticed a strange occurance. When I back-up a DVD with DVDSHRINK, as you know, it will allow me to delete the files once NERO has finished burning them to DVD. However, it looks like there is approximately 20MB disappearing from my hard drive with each DVD I back up. I always empty the folder that was used during the back-up process and empty the recycle bin....so where are those 20 megs going? How do I get rid of them?

Appreciate you,
Jarhead

Also could try searching for a cache location for that program. (I've never used DVDShrink so I don't know!) Check the C:\Program Files folder for that program or the \Documents and Settings folder... it may be creating 'batch' files for future burnings.... but 20Mb is a huge amount of info for a batch file... 8O