View Full Version : Help a new father Please!!!!

kalaban
01-07-2005, 11:05 PM
My daughter was just born 1/5/05 and I have a full minidv tape that I want to upload to my computer so I can eventually burn to a CD-ROM.

The software that came with my Sony DCR -TRV27 is Pixela and it's crap.

Can someone recommend a program that's easy to use for a non-pro??

I may want to do some editing in the future, but I am more concerned with getting the video off the tape and on my HDD.

Thanks and greatly appreciated.

backpackerx
01-08-2005, 10:48 PM
The video capture feature of the Pixela should do this fine. First things to check are A: do you have a firewire port on the computer? B: Do you have the available HardDrive space? Normal DV video requires 13 Gigabytes per hour of footage. C: is your computer up to spec with the requirements. Most editors require minimums of around 1Ghz CPU and 256Mb of RAM.

Normally with video capture you connect the camera to the computer (not by USB as some have both) and start the program up. The tape should be rewound to the begining and the record button on the program will normally start the camera playing automatically for the capture. You usually need the camera in the play mode for this, not the recording mode.

Other than that, Any consumer DV editor will do a fine job of capture if you have the right computer hardware. I like the Pinnacle series myself.

jarhead
01-09-2005, 03:44 AM
This is just my opinion, but I would go straight to Adobe Premiere. Sure the learning curve is a little steep, and I know you are busy with your new addition to your family, but it is something you will never grow out of. Why waste your time using a lesser program (like Pinnacle) only to be looking for something new in a couple of months.

But, like backpackerx said, Pixela will do the trick for now. Congratulations on your new family!!!

backpackerx
01-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Premier is overkill for people who only want to capture video and do simple editing. If you want a semi-pro solution then premiere is excellent but it's also $700 and way too expensive for anyone just doing basic editing.

Premiere elements version is only $99 and is about the same quality as the $99 version of Pinnacle 9.0. These are suprisingly robost video editors for personal use and make excellent home movie productions. I've done great looking DVD's with these programs and they do the job for anything short of something you might want to distribute or use comercially.

kalaban
01-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I decided on the Adobe Premier, as I am already familiar with elements for my digital camera.

Only problem was I didn't have a DVD Burner. MY computer is in the shop now as I am getting a Sony Dual Layer 16x put in. Costly when all is said and done, but my kids memories...... priceless. :beer:

backpackerx
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
That'll be a nice setup. Congrats on the baby!

Don Tolson
01-10-2005, 09:26 PM
...or try Adobe Premiere Elements. I'm guessing that it's a subset of the full Permiere program, but I didn't find it's interface too terribly difficult and it does a great job with simple editing!

Crocuta
01-11-2005, 04:39 AM
...or try Adobe Premiere Elements. I'm guessing that it's a subset of the full Permiere program, but I didn't find it's interface too terribly difficult and it does a great job with simple editing!

I agree with Don. Odds are that Premiere Elements will have everything you need and that there will be no need for you to spring for the full version of Premiere. (We are talking $600 difference after all.) Later, if you outgrow elements, Adobe will probably let you upgrade to the full Premiere product at a reduced price. While I haven't checked this one out specifically (used full Premiere since before Premiere Elements came out), they do this with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. You'll pay less total to buy PS Elements and upgrade to full PS than to buy full PS outright in the first place.

kalaban
01-13-2005, 02:12 AM
hmmm.

I only paid $150 for the elements and premiere (ver3.0) combo.
Did I buy the wrong product?

I haven't opened it yet.

I used Nero that came with my DVD burner, but it's very limited and I want more in terms of options e.g transitions and editing.

backpackerx
01-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Well, Premiere Elements runs $99. Did you buy the Premiere Elements with the Photoshop Elements bundled? If so, that's a good price.

Regular Premier (Pro) is $700. Go to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/motion/main.html) and check out their products if you need clarification.

Don Tolson
01-15-2005, 12:01 AM
hmmm.

I only paid $150 for the elements and premiere (ver3.0) combo.
Did I buy the wrong product?

I haven't opened it yet.

I used Nero that came with my DVD burner, but it's very limited and I want more in terms of options e.g transitions and editing.

I think you probably got the Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements combo -- it's up to you if you want to pay the extra $50 for Photoshop Elements.

I think you'll be VERY pleased with Premiere Elements in comparison with Nero -- PE does WAY more and with a much better interface IMHO. If you have any difficulties with PE, give me an email. I'll be glad to help.