View Full Version : Pet Peeve: Desktop Icons You Didn't Ask For

Jason Dunn
01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I just finished installing the software for my Creative Labs Zen Micro, which I need to have on there in order to upgrade the ROM and make it PlaysForSure compatible, and I did a custom install to get only what I needed: the drivers. After the install, I had an AOL shortcut on my desktop! :evil: Don't you just hate it when software creates things on your computer that you didn't ask for? There should be an option in the custom install routine where it asks you if you want shortcuts created.

For those that have a Zen Micro, you should grab these two firmware updates (http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?Product_ID=10795&Product_Name=Creative+Zen+Micro&DriverLang=1033&OS=10&DriverType=4&sOSName=Windows+XP&details=1) right away. My upgrade was painless, and now I have the ability to connect to any computer with WMP10 and move music to/from the player. Woo hoo! :D

UPDATE: Ok, so it looks like if you're a Zen Micro owner you have to chose between the firmware updates - one gives you PlaysForSure support (only the MTP driver though, it's not compatible with Napster yet), the other one gives you hardware enhancements related to the battery life, touch pad support, etc. It seems silly that they don't have a fireware update that gives you both, but there it is. :roll:

The Yaz
01-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Almost as annoying is the icons that "magically" appear on one's system tray (you know I am talking about Real!) :x

This Christmas I went to a website called noradsanta.org. It supposedly uses NORAD's satellites to track Rudolph's nose during the Christmas eve journey. It was a neat presentation, and my kids loved it. Unfortunately, I had to install Real Player to run the files.

I figured, "It's for the kids..." so I chose the free install. On Christmas day, while checking my mail, I uninstalled Real Player. Twice last week, I had a Real icon appear in the tray to inform me that updates are available.

I ended up removing the icon and deleting all of my temp internet files and cookies to finally get rid of it.

I hope...

Steve 8)

Chris Gohlke
01-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Add to that, system tray icons.

Jason Dunn
01-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Remember that START > RUN > msconfig is your friend - it's the best way to carve out the crap that auto-starts on a reboot.

Phoenix
01-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Tell us, Jason, how do you like the Zen Micro? Does it use WMP10 only to rip, manage, and load music, or does it come with another app that a person can use?

Do you find it as easy to use as iTunes?

I like the look of the Zen Micros (they look like really nice players) and have been curious to know how well the software works.

Jason Dunn
01-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Tell you what, I'll do a new post on the Zen Micro and you can ask all the questions in that thread...

Video11
01-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Almost as annoying is the icons that "magically" appear on one's system tray (you know I am talking about Real!) :x

This Christmas I went to a website called noradsanta.org. It supposedly uses NORAD's satellites to track Rudolph's nose during the Christmas eve journey. It was a neat presentation, and my kids loved it. Unfortunately, I had to install Real Player to run the files.

I figured, "It's for the kids..." so I chose the free install. On Christmas day, while checking my mail, I uninstalled Real Player. Twice last week, I had a Real icon appear in the tray to inform me that updates are available.

I ended up removing the icon and deleting all of my temp internet files and cookies to finally get rid of it.

I hope...

Steve 8)

Laughing right along with you. Had the exact same experience with Real because of the Norad Tracks Santa site. I figure it was worth it though, the kids loved watching Santa moving across the earth.

Neil Enns
01-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh man, you want to know the worst offender for this? MS Money 2004! It puts two icons on my desktop for ING Direct and something else, and if I delete the icons they come back next time I launch Money. Argh!

Neil

Bob12
01-05-2005, 05:15 AM
I turned all the icons off on my desktop. Why put a nice picture (currently the Yellowstone River at the brink of the upper falls) on display and then obscure it with icons? I moved my taskbar to the side of the screen, widened it significantly, and auto-hid it. Then I created custom toolbars for all my icons and added them to the taskbar. Each toolbar is a separate category of applications (Reference, Photo Stuff, Utilites, Office Suites, etc.) which gives me quick easy access to all my programs, allows me to control what shows up, and leaves that nice picture showing fully in all its glory.

MadTxn
01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Oh man, you want to know the worst offender for this? MS Money 2004! It puts two icons on my desktop for ING Direct and something else, and if I delete the icons they come back next time I launch Money. Argh!

Neil

I hated that too. But there's an option buried somewhere to turn it off. I can't find it right now, but look around in the options menu.