View Full Version : Canon Zoom/Image Browser 5.0 Download

James Fee
12-30-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://digitalphotography.weblogsinc.com/' target='_blank'>http://digitalphotography.weblogsinc.com/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"If you have a Canon camera (and a lot of you do), I am sure you have developed a special love-hate relationship with your bundled software Zoombrowser (Image Browser in Mac). To add salt to the wounds, Canon refused to offer downloadable upgrades to its software, so the only way to get updated versions of ZoomBrowser were to either buy newer Canon products or try to tackle people outside the local Fry’s walking out with Canon products."</i><br /><br />Have an older Canon camera with an older version of Zoom/Image Browser and want to upgrade to 5.0? The Digital Photography Weblog has found a way to download the version 5.0 upgrade for any Canon digital camera. Download away!

Mike Temporale
12-31-2004, 03:17 AM
I've never actually installed any of the software that came with the camera. Don't tell me that there was actually something good on that CD!? :lol:

jeffd
12-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Same here, as soon as I got my a40, into the trash the disc went. Saddly a couple months later, I wanted the disc to try out the image stitch program on it to see if it was any good at making panoramas. :/

Even worse, atm im stuck on vacation and I forgot to install photoshop on my laptop. So all I have is paint shop pro 4.0 which Is a simple cutter and cropper at that version number. (I use 4.0 cause its great portability, very small, I keep it on the CF card even, needs no install, and while shareware it never expires or nags). Need to find something small to help touch up my photos that I can download over my ever so slow cell phone internet connection. ^^

Crocuta
12-31-2004, 06:47 PM
I haven't installed the software that came with my Canon camera either, but I did go ahead and download this to archive on my HDD in case I ever want it for anything. Like Jeffd, the only thing that occured to me that I might find useful is the panorama stitching application, but I haven't taken any panoramas yet, so haven't bothered doing the install. Still, if they've changed their policy and are now making upgrades available, then that's a good thing just in principle.

dmcgill
01-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Canon have always offered upgrades to their software - Zoombrowser has improved greatly with recent releases, but while v5 looks good it broke downloading images from my G5 under W2k (XP seems fine). Ended up going back to v4.6.

As for the panorama software - it's ok for a quick stitch, but has nothing on PTAssembler - see http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

Philip Colmer
01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Has anyone got this software working with an EOS 20D? Any attempts to download the images from the camera results in this error:

The camera is busy and cannot respond. If the LCD monitor of the camera is turned on, turn it off. Click Retry to try again or click Cancel to disconnect the camera.

I think I've got some incompatible software on my PC somewhere. I've got a vague recollection that some of the "camera" software got installed when I bought a Canon printer ... which happened before I got the 20D.

I can access the camera through alternative methods such as Explorer or XP's Scanner and Camera wizard, but I am frustrated that I can't browse the camera through Canon's software.

--Philip

Jerry Raia
01-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I've never actually installed any of the software that came with the camera. Don't tell me that there was actually something good on that CD!? :lol:

I just got the SD300 and didn't even unwrap the fat package of stuff that came with it until I saw the post.

Jonathon Watkins
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Well, I downloaded it and will soon see it it's any more stable and reliable than it's buggy and flaky predecessor.......