View Full Version : Xbox Extender?

Jason Dunn
12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have an Xbox extender hooked up to their MCE and Xbox yet? I'm waiting for one to be shipped to me, but I'm quite excited about it. 8)

BTS
12-22-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't have one yet but noticed that they are now being promoted on Microsoft's site. So how are these supposed to work? Do you run your WME PC in one room and then deliver the content to the TV in the other room via the extender? That would be great if it works (I would imagine a wired solution would be better than wireless).

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Yes, that's exactly how it works. You need to have an MCE 2005 system set up, and the Xbox Extender finds that computer, and essentially sets up a sort of terminal services session with that computer (but it's not like remote desktop, you can still keep using that computer). On the Xbox, you'll get the full MCE 2005 interface, minus the fancy DirectX-based transitions and a few other UI goodies...but it's basically the same thing. You can watch live TV, recorded shows, etc.

BTS
12-22-2004, 12:46 AM
That will be fantastic! My wife isn't too keen about our computer sitting in the family room - doesn't really go with the decor! :?

I haven't seen anything for sale in Calgary, yet, although one would think it will be coming soon. Hopefully, it won't retail for over $150. Wasn't Microsoft also coming out with an extender that doesn't need the XBox?

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Check out Paul's review:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/mcx_xbox_review.asp

He really doesn't like it...but I'm going to give it a try anyway. :-)

I haven't seen anything for sale in Calgary, yet, although one would think it will be coming soon. Hopefully, it won't retail for over $150. Wasn't Microsoft also coming out with an extender that doesn't need the XBox?

The retail price in $79 USD, so it's pretty cheap:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xboxmediacenterextender.htm

There are extenders that don't need the Xbox...Linksys makes one but their Web site is SO slow right now I can't get it pulled up. But there are a couple out there. ;-)