View Full Version : Canon Rebel Dies

wesley762
12-16-2004, 04:52 AM
well I have had my Canon Digital Rebel for about 2 months now. I baby this thing like nothing else. and today it desides not to work. well thinking that it was the battery I put my spear in. no luck. so I make sure that the batterys have juice. one is fully charged and the other is well half way charged. I am pretty upset now bad enough to call tech support. after about ten minutes of waiting I get some one on the phone. he tells me to do all the things that I have already done. check the battery check the doors take the memory card out try a diffrent one and than try a different battery. well after that he tells me where I can ship it to (very not happy that they want me to pay for it to be shipped.) and told me it would be 7 to 10 business days till I get it back. well christmas is next weekend. is this common of canon support? and has anyone else had there rebel just die or has anyone heard of them just not work. I used it earlyer in the day and it worked fine, and like I said I have taken the utmost care of it. it has not been abused at all. any sugestions out there would be very helpfull.

Thank you

Bob12
12-16-2004, 05:05 AM
I haven't needed any service on any of my Canon cameras, I'm happy to say. However, I did have to have a Sony camera (FD91) repaired. It took not quite 2 weeks - I paid shipping to Sony, they paid for return shipping. I have a friend who had to send a Nikon N55 in for repair and had the same shipping situation. In his case, the turn around was almost four weeks. So, if these are typical, I'd say the arrangement with your Canon is probably within an industry standard range.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Sounds like a dead camera alright. Happened to my old 995, and they ended up replacing the main PCB and the power PCB.

wesley762
12-16-2004, 08:54 PM
lucky I had a chat with the local retailer that I bought it from and with the holiday being this next weekend He had pitty on me and is going to exchange to for a new one as I have only had it for 2 months. I feel very lucky right now. but the poor support and problem, will make me think long and hard about ever buying a Canon product again.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-17-2004, 05:53 AM
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

wesley762
12-17-2004, 03:51 PM
they seamed to not care about my problem at and I asked what I could do to have it taken care of quicker and I got the responce I dont know. the supervisor had a very rude tone and was just not polite at all. I was very disatified with that phone call. I have never had that bad of a phone call with anyother company before. that was the frist time that I had called canon. so what is everyone else experance with Canon out there?

cerberus
12-23-2004, 03:02 PM
this sucks, just before xmas :? :(
I thought that they do provide a replacement :roll:

TheWolfen
12-31-2004, 04:56 AM
I bought my Digital Rebel from New Egg, and it came in with a defective LCD. First I tried getting New Egg to care, but they said that I had to deal with the manufacturer directly. This was actually in direct contradiction with the info given in the product description on their site. I watched that page for some time and they finally updated it with the policy about 5 months later. :roll:

Anyway.. I wound up sending it to Canon for repair, and, while the experience was generally positive, I was a bit peeved that a DOA camera wasn't replaced with a new one immediately, either by the retailer or Canon. I shouldn't have had to part with my brand new camera for 2 weeks right after buying it.

That being said.. defective products are just a fact of life, and there is no way for any manufacturer to avoid them from time to time. I know it is frustrating, but nobody is perfect. I would have been better off buying the camera from a good retailer that provided post-sales support (I thought I did) - you were pretty lucky there. I still love Canon products and try not to hold my experience against them too much - hopefully your experience will improve!!

wesley762
12-31-2004, 06:36 AM
this has been my second bad experance with canon. the first was with a printer that I had. I tried getting tech support and could not get any one to talk with me I ended up throughing the printer away and getting a HP. and now with the bad support with the camera it is going to really make me think hard about getting another canon product.