View Full Version : DVX-POD size in question !!

jlp
12-12-2004, 05:22 AM
NOTE 1:

This post was split from the discussion:
Tom's Hardware Guide Reviews the DVD-XPOD (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7176&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)
in which I emitted the following opinion:
(note 2 the DVX-POD (and not DVD-XPOD like the discussion title said) is a multimedia player with a 6.5 or 7" screen [Tom's Hardware can't makeup their mind as they state both figures 8O] that measures close to 20 cm (7.6") and weighs around 600g (~22oz) 8O yet features a comparativelytiny 20GB HDD)

So without further ado, here's my opinion that I posted in the above thread before it got split here:

AFAIKT, it's close to twice as long as a PDA so it wont fit in 99% of all pockets.

The future belongs to PDA sized devices with 3.5 to 4" screens; maybe 5" if you consider the OQO with such a (5") screen can serve as a MM player as well, and it's virtually the size of my Axim X5. Likewise with a resolution of 800x480, the OQO screen is awesome for DVD movies too :D.

James Fee
12-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I agree, the OQO is a better choice, as long as money is not a factor. The OQO is much more expensive than the DVX-POD or similar devices.

Jason Dunn
12-12-2004, 06:20 PM
The OQO and the Flipstart PC are full-blown computers. This is not, and thus serves a completely different market niche. It's like saying that because both a Ford F150 truck and a Mini Cooper have wheels and move they appeal to the same market segment.

jlp
12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Jason,

Hem, did I say they appeal to the same market segment??

I said that the future belong to small sized devices with 3.5 to 4" screens, adding that a compact, PDA-sized device like the OQO even has a 5" wide screen; that makes it perfectly pocketable and great for DVD files playback.

Now as far as price is concerned, if you buy a PPC plus a desktop computer and a multimedia player, you'll end up with 3 devices that only do partial things and probably cost as much as an OQO: but none can do all; you can't take any individual device (of those 3 just mentionned) and do what the others do.

While the OQO is not as powerful and capable as a regular desktop, it can replace ALL 3 devices for most tasks:
- mobile WinXP computing:
- Office type applications
- email
- Internet browsing
- mm player (and tho you can, you don't even need to recode your files, just decrypt a DVD to its HDD; that's faster)
- and still connect to regular desktop peripherals like screens, keyboards, printers, projectors, optical drives, etc.

<\off topic>

Anyway, my main point was about the HUGE size of that mm player and that it certainly wont catch, while smaller devices will.

jlp
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Jason,

To use your example, let's say that the OQO is a "4x4 Mini Cooper with a truckload area à la Chevy El Camino" :D.

Jason Dunn
12-15-2004, 07:05 PM
While the OQO is not as powerful and capable as a regular desktop, it can replace ALL 3 devices for most tasks...

The way you defend to the death a device you don't even have is pretty funny. Here's all I have to say:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041214/index.html

"The OQO attracted a lot of attention during our testing. Dozens of people walked up and asked us what it was and how such a small device could run Windows. After showing them the device, the most common statement was, "Ok, it's cool, but why do I need it?" The OQO is a cool device, but is it practical for most people? Today, laptops and PDAs are extremely powerful and quite inexpensive. For the same price as an OQO, you can purchase a decent laptop AND a PDA."

Honestly, I'm happy that you're so in love with the OQO, but I really dislike the way you attack everything else that ISN'T an OQO and proclaim the superiority of a device that you don't even own. It's really rude and disrespectful toward others.

jlp
12-15-2004, 10:10 PM
While the OQO is not as powerful and capable as a regular desktop, it can replace ALL 3 devices for most tasks...

The way you defend to the death a device you don't even have is pretty funny.

You don't have it either, it's easy to tell. But I have the vision*, you not :P .

Here's all I have to say:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041214/index.html

"The OQO attracted a lot of attention during our testing. Dozens of people walked up and asked us what it was and how such a small device could run Windows. After showing them the device, the most common statement was, "Ok, it's cool, but why do I need it?" The OQO is a cool device, but is it practical for most people? Today, laptops and PDAs are extremely powerful and quite inexpensive. For the same price as an OQO, you can purchase a decent laptop AND a PDA."

As for your quote, all I can say is that you can find crazy people who pretend cigarette smoking is not dangerous. Opinions are just this: opinions, not the Truth!!

That's his opinion about the OQO, that's yours; fine, there are others and I feel much closer to those others.

I've spent many hours and days, weeks and months in well over 2.5 years watching the OQO evolve, studying its strengths and weaknesses; by no mean do I claim it would be superior!! It's only superior if you find use for its strengths and you don't mind its shortcomings; or search and find ways around them.

Try running WinXP with the most powerful PPC/Palm/Linux PDA!! or try putting a laptop in your pocket :P or just think about it and you might realize how much this quote lacks any depth of thought whatsoever.

Obviously enough (not for the guy you quote at least): only the OQO can do both!! :p

Honestly, I'm happy that you're so in love with the OQO, but I really dislike the way you attack everything else that ISN'T an OQO and proclaim the superiority of a device that you don't even own. It's really rude and disrespectful toward others.

Wow, attacking?? Anyone's wounded?? :D

I don't know how you come to this conclusion of yours. I'm just stating my opinion, like everybody is entitled to in any free country like we both live in!! ;)

You know what? you remind me of all those Palm nay-sayers who dismissed color & multimedia, saying "We don't need it!!". Just to burst with joy when they finally got one saying something like "I never realized before how wonderful it is to listen to music with my PDA" or "I never realized before how wonderful it is to view fine and colorful images and watch videos on my PDA!!".

Well around 1998-9, I also dismissed multimedia and color too at first (I had had a few Newtons till then) but I finally "got the vision" even before getting myself a Casio Cassiopeia E-105, THE PsPC of the day to get :D

All it took for me was printing a full sized image of one of those PsPC (a Palmax), and glueing it to a cardboard to realize how small and convenient that was. The Palmax was not sold here, I got the Casio.

Anyway to make a long story short, a) I see people who lack the vision* fail to realize important things, and b) note I'm not attacking anything or anybody I just said the DVX-Pod is too big, it's not pocketable for most people.

Peace ;).

Jean-Louis

*= "Those who see the light before others are condemned to pursue it in spite of others" said Christopher Columbus (thru the mouth of Gérard Depardieu in the movie "1492: Conquest of Paradise"; freely translated from memory and from the French soundtrack)

Jason Dunn
12-15-2004, 10:56 PM
This thread was split from the DVX-POD post.

Pat Logsdon
12-16-2004, 12:51 AM
"Those who see the light before others are condemned to pursue it in spite of others" - Christopher Columbus
Said the man who confused Haiti with the East Indies. Oh, the irony! :mrgreen:

jlp
12-16-2004, 01:16 AM
"Those who see the light before others are condemned to pursue it in spite of others" - Christopher Columbus
Said the man who confused Haiti with the East Indies. Oh, the irony! :mrgreen:

So you think?

The only reason he hit Haiti is because there was land between Europe and the East Indies; there was no confusion whatsoever except he thought he had reached his goal. His reasoning was perfectly right; the earth is round (spherical).

Jason Dunn
12-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Could this thread possibly get any more ridiculous? Quick, someone bring up hamsters to really put the icing on the cake... :roll:

Pat Logsdon
12-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Could this thread possibly get any more ridiculous? Quick, someone bring up hamsters to really put the icing on the cake... :roll:
I think that the Flat Earth Society (http://www.flat-earth.org/platygaea/faq.html) would be more "on topic". :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
12-16-2004, 11:40 AM

Close enough - did someone call? :lol:

I'm with Tom on this one. Cute - but not quite there yet & little point at the moment.