View Full Version : Which PMC?

JohnnyFlash
12-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Which of the 3 portable media centers does anyone recommend? I've read reviews of Creative's Zen and even played with one at Best Buy. I really love the look of Samsung's Yepp YH-999. Then there's the iRiver PMP-120. Has anyone used these last two? What did you think? Which one would you buy?

Gary Sheynkman
12-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Although I have not played with the iRiver....I would say that they have the best products on the market right now (although very underappreciated)

ale_ers
12-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I am very interested in the answer to this question also, as I plan to buy one around Christmas.

I have only seen the Creative one in person, but it looks nice and I think from reviews that it gets better battery life than then Samsung (the battery is replaceable too).

I don't think the iRiver one is shipping yet, as I have yet to see it on any website. I think it has the same form factor as their PMP 120, and judging by the reputation that their players have I think I am leaning toward this one.

Anyone have a chance to play with all three?

ale_ers
12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Which of the 3 portable media centers does anyone recommend? I've read reviews of Creative's Zen and even played with one at Best Buy. I really love the look of Samsung's Yepp YH-999. Then there's the iRiver PMP-120. Has anyone used these last two? What did you think? Which one would you buy?

Actually the PMP - 120 is not a Microsoft personal media center. While it can play more file types, it lacks the integration with MCE and WMP 10. The iRiver portable media Center is called PMC - 120 one letter differences...kind of confusing. They even mess it up on their own web site, when you click 'buy now' on the PMC 120 it sends you to the PMP 120.

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Between the Creative and Samsung units (the only ones I've used):

If size matters, get the Samsung
If battery life matters, get the Creative
If screen quality matters, get the Creative

The Samsung, while it has a good design, really only wins on size - the Creative is better at everything else.

ale_ers
12-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Sounds good. I've been leaning to the Creative one, but I would love to actually see the samsung unit before deciding for sure. The Samsung is on sale many places (i.e. best buy) but they seem to be online only.

As far as the Rio, I don't think it is available anywhere yet. But I have been able to get a good idea of the size because I think it is the same form as the current PMP.

mace
01-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Having "kicked the tires" on both the Creative and the Archos units I decided to try the Samsung. I think it is the best of all the units I tested. The Creative was just too bulky and the viewing angle was bad.

I got my Samsung at a good price, the Archos was too expensive to justify to the wife and I never could get a decent conversion of a non avi movies to it, using virtual dub.

I am very happy with my Samsung.

Jason Dunn
01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I am very happy with my Samsung.

Cool! If you want to do some sort of quick write-up on your thoughts on it, feel free to get in touch with me. :-)