View Full Version : What Audio Format Do You Rip In?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Survey time! I'm curious to know what format people rip their CD's in, and why they chose that format. We'll have another survey about bit rate later - for now I'm just curious about the format.

backpackerx
11-25-2004, 07:35 PM
I use WMA for space saving but with not knowing where DRM is headed I may consider going back to MP3.

Do you think there is any time in the future where hardware manufacturers will stop supporting MP3 due to lack of DRM?

entropy1980
11-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Still use Mp3 most compatible, I had started to do AAC but ran into problems when all of the sudden certain video apps wouldn't let me use AAC so now everything is in 320kbps mp3 ( I know you said bit rate poll later but I had to include it :) )

mcsouth
11-25-2004, 08:18 PM
I have been ripping to WMA, mainly because I had been using my PocketPC as my music player, and because I understood that the WMA format was the best at lower bit rates (64kbps). I use the lower bit rate in order to cram more music onto my 512MB SD card in my iPaq, and these small files have been appreciated since I recently purchased a 256MB MuVo TX FM player.

If I wasn't so damn cheap, I might shell out for a Rio Carbon, and rerip at a higher bit rate, since I tend to listen to more music through my PC lately than anything else (including my stereo - I can't recall the last time I listened to music on my stereo system in the living room).

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 08:27 PM
I use WMA for space saving but with not knowing where DRM is headed I may consider going back to MP3.

WMA's ripped without DRM are no different than MP3s - they'll just play. I suppose it's TECHNICALLY possible for Microsoft to change their codecs so that WMP 14 will only play DRM'd WMA files, but that would be completely insane and would ensure complete death of their media format...I just don't think they're that stupid.

Do you think there is any time in the future where hardware manufacturers will stop supporting MP3 due to lack of DRM?

I think it's more or less impossible - the RIAA might want that, but the hardware makers know if they don't support MP3, they won't sell hardware. Well, everyone except for Sony knows that. :lol:

Tim Williamson
11-25-2004, 09:26 PM
MP3 all the way! I use the LAME encoder through CDEX and rip it with the --alt-preset extreme setting with VBR 0. Using these settings I don't hear any artifacts and usually a full CD will take around 100 MBs.

Felix Torres
11-25-2004, 09:35 PM
There was a published report a few months back that stated that 75% of the digital music files on Planet Earth were MP3s and some 13% WMA with the rest divided between Real Audio, Atrac, and AAC, in that order.

Me, I started experimenting with MP3 shortly before MS introduced WMAs so I extended my tests in that direction and found that WMAs were in fact better and that for automotive use 32kpbs WMAs were as good as cassettes. This was just as Rio introduced the Volt. All the pieces fit for me.

With my new car, I've moved to 64kbps because I now have an auxiliary line-in, instead of a cassette deck adapter to feed through, and a 20gb Riot to hold my music. I expect to move to WMA lossless at some point but first I need to see a player with 100gb drive. I figure it'll be at least a year before that happens...

ctmagnus
11-25-2004, 10:18 PM
MP3 for my DAP (most of my music) and WMA for my Pocket PC (select stuff). I voted WMA just to tie up the votes :mrgreen:

Roosterman
11-26-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm with lots of others. I use the WMA for smaller size. I really think the sound quality is fine and I can fit lots more on my SD and CF cards for my PPC.

Suhit Gupta
11-26-2004, 05:19 AM
Wow, I am surprised that more people aren't going with ogg.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
11-26-2004, 05:21 AM

Why? It's a format known only to people that are hardcore about both digital audio and open source - that's not that many people. ;-) But whatever works for you I say! :D

Tim Williamson
11-26-2004, 06:32 AM

Why? It's a format known only to people that are hardcore about both digital audio and open source - that's not that many people. ;-) But whatever works for you I say! :D

Also, how many portable players support OGG? One?

Schade
11-26-2004, 07:23 AM
I expect to move to WMA lossless at some point but first I need to see a player with 100gb drive. I figure it'll be at least a year before that happens...

$450 will get it for you. Or you can buy the shell and put your own drive in. Check out the DMC XClef 500 (http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html).

Another large HDD option is the Neuros Audio Computer (http://www.neurosaudio.com/), at 80gb. This one has swappable hard drive "backpacks" and a built in FM transmitter.

Oh, as for the poll, I rip CDs to WMA VBR simply due to the ease that Windows Media Player provides. I've usually got media player open, so why not use it to rip? I would probably rip to MP3 VBR if that option was available, but MP3 is CBR only.

Felix Torres
11-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I expect to move to WMA lossless at some point but first I need to see a player with 100gb drive. I figure it'll be at least a year before that happens...

$450 will get it for you. Or you can buy the shell and put your own drive in. Check out the DMC XClef 500 (http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html).

Another large HDD option is the Neuros Audio Computer (http://www.neurosaudio.com/), at 80gb. This one has swappable hard drive "backpacks" and a built in FM transmitter.

Thanks.
I knew of the XClef but I don't think it handles WMA lossless.
I think RIO and the PMCs are the only ones supporting WMA lossless right now.

What I'm really looking for is a 100Gb version of the Creative PMC; large color screen, album art, visualizations, and landscape format...
Even battery life isn't much of an issue since its for car use...

I'll get there.
Maybe the Creative can be hacked... :twisted:

James Fee
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Apple Lossless for me so I chose the other option since Apple Lossless isn't AAC....

Most of my collection is in MP3, but I'm sticking with lossless for the future.

Jason Dunn
11-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Apple Lossless

I didn't even known Apple had a lossless format. Aren't you worried about losing your music if the platform dies?

James Fee
11-26-2004, 05:43 PM
I didn't even known Apple had a lossless format. Aren't you worried about losing your music if the platform dies?
Nah, I have all the CDs to back me up and at worst case I could always convert from Apple Lossless to Mp3 if the world came crashing down. The iPod isn't going anywhere so I'm not worried at all. If I had a WMA player I'd rip in WMA Lossless for all the same reasons as I do Apple Lossless.

Jason Dunn
11-26-2004, 05:48 PM
If I had a WMA player I'd rip in WMA Lossless for all the same reasons as I do Apple Lossless.

You can hear the difference between a 256 kbps MP3 and Apple Lossless? What kind of headphones do you have? What kind of music is it?

James Fee
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
You can hear the difference between a 256 kbps MP3 and Apple Lossless? What kind of headphones do you have? What kind of music is it?I can't tell the difference between ALE and MP3 on headphones. But I can tell the difference in my car and on my home theater system. Not much, but its one of those things that annoys me so I've changed. I would only recommend any lossless format to those who have noticed the limitations of lower quality files, otherwise the extra space is just wasted.

backpackerx
11-28-2004, 05:41 AM
While we're on the topic,

Anyone know of a good program to do batch conversions from MP3 to WMA? Preferably free if there is one?

I currently rip mostly to WMA but have about 50 Mp3's I want to convert.

ctmagnus
11-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Anyone know of a good program to do batch conversions from MP3 to WMA? Preferably free if there is one?

dbpoweramp (dbpoweramp.com) plus the free wma conversion plugin.

James Fee
11-28-2004, 05:25 PM
While we're on the topic,

I'd say the Windows Media Bonus Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/bonuspack.aspx) is your best choice. Inside you'll find the Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE which allows you to find and convert all MP3s you have to WMA. I'd guess Microsoft's own tool probably does the best job at this and you won't find a easier interface.

I currently rip mostly to WMA but have about 50 Mp3's I want to convert.Why would you want to convert them? The best thing to do would be to rerip them into WMA so you'll gain the benifit of WMA. Converting from one lossy format to another means you'll lose much in the way of sound.

backpackerx
11-28-2004, 10:55 PM
thanks for the info. I downloaded the dbpoweramp and will give it a try. It looks like just the thing I was looking for.

I could re-rip in WMA but I don't want the hassle with the various CDs. I just want to batch all 50 or 10 at a time or whatever and convert them. I'm only doing this for space saving at a lower WMA bitrate than for audio quality at this point. Thanks guys.

SubFuze
11-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Currently, I rip in MP3 (LAME --alt-preset extreme) because I can't play other formats in my MP3 CD players (car and portable). Ideally, I'd like to rip in a lossless format and be able to convert to MP3 or other lossy formats on the fly for portable uses, but until storage becomes cheaper it's not a feasable option for me as I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 CDs (http://www.arcticflare.com/MyCDs/). As it is, I have around 770 albums ripped and even with an average bitrate of around 224k, I'm at 74.4 gigs...

PeterLake
12-01-2004, 07:01 PM
MP3. It does not sound the best, but it is the only one that is compatible with every piece of hardware I own.