View Full Version : TrustedReviews Looks at Sony's Network Walkman NW-HD1

Jason Dunn
11-23-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=39&page=1879' target='_blank'>http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=39&page=1879</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony knows a thing or two about design, I don’t think anyone could deny that. But when it came to portable audio, Apple stole the crown that Sony had worn since the launch of the original Walkman with the introduction of the iPod. Now, the iPod has been around for a long time, and there have been competing products launched from a host of other manufacturers, but Sony was always conspicuous by its absence. Thankfully Sony has finally entered the world of hard disk based digital music players, and I have to say that this is the best looking device I have every seen. The Network Walkman NW-HD1 looks stunning, finished in brushed aluminium with a display that’s viewed in landscape orientation rather than the more common portrait orientation. Even Benny, our resident iPod fanatic had to admit that the NW-HD1 looked fantastic, and was far more pocket friendly than his iPod."</i><br /><br />This is par for the course where Sony is concerned - killer hardware design crippled by a myopic view of the digital world. 30 hours of battery life is impressive until you read the fine print and see that it's only with 48 kbps ATRAC files, and there's no MP3 or WMA support. What does that make this device for the bulk of digital consumers out there? 100% useless. :roll:

Doug Johnson
11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Not too long ago Sony announced they would be adding MP3 support by spring.

They actually bowed to consumer request on this one.

Jason Dunn
11-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Not too long ago Sony announced they would be adding MP3 support by spring. They actually bowed to consumer request on this one.

I read that in the article, but let's face it, the fact that they launched the product without MP3 support is insane. 8O

Felix Torres
11-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Not too long ago Sony announced they would be adding MP3 support by spring. They actually bowed to consumer request on this one.

I read that in the article, but let's face it, the fact that they launched the product without MP3 support is insane. 8O

Or how about the fact that it will take them almost a year to ad MP3 support...
Think anybody will care by then?

sylvangale
11-23-2004, 10:05 PM
A much much more indepth review of the hardware, software, and how MP3s are dealt with:

The Gadgeteer:
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/20gb-sony-walkman-review.html

It is a very nice looking Mp3 player... sans Mp3. :splat:

Anyone have a link to where Sony says this device will natively support Mp3s? Right now it converts Mp3s to Atrac when you transfer them to the device.

James Fee
11-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Anyone have a link to where Sony says this device will natively support Mp3s? Right now it converts Mp3s to Atrac when you transfer them to the device.http://news.com.com/Sony+to+support+MP3/2100-1027_3-5377625.html

sylvangale
11-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the article... but is there no public press release from Sony? Tried searching their corporate site and googling, but no luck.

I would rather not assume Sony will upgrade firmware as much as I had assumed HP would theirs.... :oops:

James Fee
11-24-2004, 05:19 AM
It seems that Sony Europe announced it...

http://www.sony-europe.com/PageView.do?site=odw_en_EU&page=PressReleaseDetail&section=en_EU_Press&pressrelease=1095156810330

and when asked by CNET, Sony USA confirmed that they would be "making similar plans here".

I too could not find any release from Sony USA on the matter.... :?

ale2999
11-25-2004, 01:33 AM
I am really really considering to stop using my pda to play music and get a dedicated player. I have been eyeing this player for the past weeks, I remember seeing it at futurshop and drooling over it, and guys that review from gadgeteer says that at 64kb compression the battey lasted 27 hours. Sure ipod look kool, but just the battery in this sony player think that will sell me. I am not 100% sure yet, but i am buying some mp3 player this friday, so if I get this I cold give you guys a nice review.

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 02:15 AM
I am not 100% sure yet, but i am buying some mp3 player this friday, so if I get this I cold give you guys a nice review.

But remember that as of right now, it doesn't play MP3 files - I don't think it's a good idea to buy it based on the premise that someday it MIGHT support MP3 playback...until it happens, you might want to go with something else. The Creative Labs Zen Micro is a very nice 5 GB player...

ale2999
11-25-2004, 06:18 AM
I am not 100% sure yet, but i am buying some mp3 player this friday, so if I get this I cold give you guys a nice review.

But remember that as of right now, it doesn't play MP3 files - I don't think it's a good idea to buy it based on the premise that someday it MIGHT support MP3 playback...until it happens, you might want to go with something else. The Creative Labs Zen Micro is a very nice 5 GB player...

Yes i see what you are saying....
But I think that even if they did not support mp3 for this particular player in the future, I would be able to manage even if i have to encode all my files :cry:
You see I encode all my mp3s to wmas on my pda so i am kinda used to that. I hope that sony will still come through. The zen micro looks really good but alas it is only 5 gigs, and the older brother the Creative Zen Touch 20GB MP3 Player seems to big. I didn't get a chance to hold one because it was all sealed in a big plastic container, but it seemed really big. The only alternative for me right now would be one of the irivers. The i320 looks pretty good, but I have never seen or touched one, so I will have to see if they have it in store.

Thx for the advise Jason

Felix Torres
11-25-2004, 05:32 PM
I am really really considering to stop using my pda to play music and get a dedicated player. I have been eyeing this player for the past weeks, I remember seeing it at futurshop and drooling over it, and guys that review from gadgeteer says that at 64kb compression the battey lasted 27 hours. Sure ipod look kool, but just the battery in this sony player think that will sell me. I am not 100% sure yet, but i am buying some mp3 player this friday, so if I get this I cold give you guys a nice review.

You might want to look at the Philips, Samsung, and the new Dell and Creative Zen touch (which isn't as big as it seems) 20Gb boxes; all do WMA and MP3 *today* and all have all-day batteries.
(Asssuming you don't listen to music while you sleep, of course.) :wink:

Not as cool-looking, but extremely good in firmware and sound quality, the Rio Karma is a jewel, but kinda hard to find round your neck of the woods, I hear...

And of course, all are Cheaper than Sony.
Heck, even Apple is cheaper than Sony...
(That's saying a lot, no?)