View Full Version : Looking for a Small Camera - Any Suggestions?

Jason Dunn
10-27-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.section&catalog=Cameras&section=EXILIM%20Series' target='_blank'>http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.section&catalog=Cameras&section=EXILIM%20Series</a><br /><br /></div>As much as I love my Canon EOS 300D, it's a big camera, and in many scenarios it's just not a workable solution. I have my Canon S400, but in comparison to the size of many cameras on the market, it's pretty large. I also dislike the shutter lag on the S400 - there's nothing more frustrating than missing a great moment because the camera is trying to focus. I've learned to press down halfway to "set the scene" and get the focus ready, but when other people use S400 they just press the button and get frustrated when it doesn't take the picture right away. I think it's perfectly justified - why shouldn't the camera take the picture right away? That has to be the #1 complaint I here from people after they use a digital camera - "Why does it take so long to get the picture?"<br /><br />So I'm looking for a new camera. I have two primary needs: small size and no shutter lag. I also want an optical zoom, so the ultra-tiny Sony cameras are out (and they're disqualified anyway because they use Memory Sticks). Oh yes, I also need the camera to use either CF or SD (likely SD at these sizes). I've been looking at the <a href="http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.section&catalog=Cameras&section=EXILIM%20Series">Casio Exilim cameras</a>, and got a bit of hands-on time with one on Monday night. I was extremely impressed! The speed at which I could take a photo was simply awesome - it felt as fast as my 300D, which is fast enough for me. I'm a big fan of Canon, but I don't know if they have anything that compares - I see they've just released some new thin and light SD-based models, the SD200 and SD300, but there's no shutter lag information. In fact, it seems that most manufacturers don't list shutter lag specs.<br /><br />So what's the fastest, smallest camera on the market?

ctmagnus
10-27-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm also lookng for a tiny camera. But I don't want CF; I prefer SD at this point in time due to its size. I've been considering an Exilim or possibly a Pentax Optio.

Felix Torres
10-27-2004, 08:36 PM
So what's the fastest, smallest camera on the market?

Dunno how small is small...
Is three MP enough?
I have the older 2MP version of the Toshiba T-30 and I'm quite happy.
It is about the size of a big candy bar.

If you're looking at Canon, their A-series (A-75, A-85, etc) are very good and fairly small.

I've also heard the Dimage X line is very good...

All use SD, BTW...

Jason Dunn
10-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Dunno how small is small...Is three MP enough?

I'd prefer a minimum of 4 MP, and in terms of size...well, the Exilim is the rough size I'm looking for. Nice and thin.

Gary Sheynkman
10-28-2004, 12:25 AM
This is too funny :lol:

Im in the exact same boat. I hate to carry my uber cool 717 around and want something that is very fast yet so tiny i could carry it in my pocket.

The sd300 is looking like a great purchase but I will have to play around with one before I can make that choice. The Casios look cool but there is something about them that makes me uneasy. As for me...yeah 4mp would be nice and under $500 usd would be great too.

Littleshmee
10-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm guessing you're looking for a point-and-shoot (got the rebel for the fancy stuff)
I was at a vendor show a week ago, and I must say, the new Canon SD300 is incredible. About the size of the pentax optios, twice as fast (got the DIGIC 2 processor), and an incredibly fluid, high res LCD.

The other one that caught my eye was the Olympus micro something something... (In canada, I think in the states it's called the verve) Definately an eye-catcher, although I didn't get to play with it too much... only a 2x zoom, but waterproof, and TINY.

Good luck!

Phoenix
10-28-2004, 12:59 AM
I've been using a Pentax Optio 555 myself and I like it with its 5mp resolution and its 5x optical zoom lens. And it seems to do pretty well with shutter lag - that is, the lag doesn't seem to be much of a problem, but I'd like to see all cameras made with no lag whatsoever, or lag that is so slight, that it effectively isn't noticed.

The Pentax Optio 555 is fairly small for what it offers, but I wouldn't necessarily call it pocketable. Pentax is going to be releasing their new Optio SV, which also offers 5mp resolution and a 5x optical zoom, a 1.8" LCD and its dimensions are only 92mm x 56mm x 28mm, which is pocketable. The Optio line all take SD cards.

DP Review has some info on it Click Here - Optio SV (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091302pentax_optiosv.asp)

Of course, I have no idea if there's much shutter lag on the SV camera, but my guess is that it's most likely very little... Pentax has been workin' their Optio line for sometime now, working out all the kinks. I've been happy with the 555, but would love to have something smaller, like the SV.

The problem with going with something really pocketable, is that the sensors sometimes are not as good as what's in their slightly larger cameras like the 555, resulting in quality that isn't quite as good as one would expect. I suppose it shouldn't make a huge difference, but I've noticed in the past that there is some difference. I'm hoping that the SV wouldn't succumb to this problem.

What Casio has been putting out looks pretty nice as well. So I think your best bet with an SD-based pocketable camera in terms of balancing size, features, resolution, optical zoom, speed, and photo quality, is either Pentax SV or Casio Exilim.

And yes, I would agree, most manufacturers don't list shutter lag specs. You just don't know until you're holding the camera in your hands.

Felix Torres
10-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Dunno how small is small...Is three MP enough?

I'd prefer a minimum of 4 MP, and in terms of size...well, the Exilim is the rough size I'm looking for. Nice and thin.

The Dimage X-series only goes to 3MP, I think.
It *is* very fast and with its folded optics you get an optical zoom without a protruding lens housing.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dimagexg.html

You've probably identified the closest product to your specs in the Exilim...

Jason Dunn
10-28-2004, 01:21 AM
I was at a vendor show a week ago, and I must say, the new Canon SD300 is incredible. About the size of the pentax optios, twice as fast (got the DIGIC 2 processor), and an incredibly fluid, high res LCD.

When you say "incredibly fast", do you mean the shutter lag? How long did it take from when you pressed the shutter button until the photo was taken? That's the #1 thing I'm looking for...

Ploobers
10-28-2004, 01:45 AM
I've got to give 5 stars to the Pentax Optio. I've owned Optio cameras for years now and they are just great. Right now I have the first version of the Optio S, the best part of which is that it fits perfectly into an Altoids can. It doesn't get any more portable than that. I don't know how the new shutter lag speeds are, but mine is just average. I totally recommend them though.

Phoenix
10-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I've got to give 5 stars to the Pentax Optio. I've owned Optio cameras for years now and they are just great. Right now I have the first version of the Optio S, the best part of which is that it fits perfectly into an Altoids can. It doesn't get any more portable than that. I don't know how the new shutter lag speeds are, but mine is just average. I totally recommend them though.

I owned the first Optio S and I loved the small size and the Altoids can bit, but with that particular camera, it had too much shutter lag and terrible photo quality. Of course, that was Pentax's first entry into a camera of that size, and since then, they've made several models beyond that. So I'm very interested in seeing how the SV will perform. Not quite as small as the Optio S (but nothing out there is), but quite a bit smaller than my 555 which performs great!

mcsouth
10-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Jason, I've looked at the Casio units as well, and the biggest gripe that I have is the lack of manual controls - you have scene selection, and that is about it. I'm not even sure that you have a custom white balance option.

I went from a Canon S300, which I really liked, except for the poor battery life (especially after 8 months or so), and ended up with a Canon G1. I love the battery life, but hate the bulk and the shutter lag is terrible. It is literally impossible to take action shots with this camera as a result.

As a result, I have been looking for the same things you mention - small, pocketable form factor, 4MP minimum, and quick start-up time with minimal shutter lag. In addition, I also demand manual controls and excellent battery life. At this point, I have the Canon S410, Konica Minolta DiMage X50 and Panasonic Lumix DMC- FX7 (don't know much about this one yet) on my short list, but haven't settled on one yet. Based on the introduction rate of new cameras, I am somewhat biding my time right now......

Phoenix
10-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is battery life. Pentax offers the best battery life of virtually all the cameras. Especially my Optio 555, which offers THE best battery life.

The Optio's also have quick start up times as well, especially the little pocketable versions - one second or so.

I think as far as shutter lag is concerned, the only way you're going to find that info is from people who have experience with the cameras directly. No manufacturer that I know of ever supplies this info. I don't even see any of these specs listed on DP Review.

Bob12
10-28-2004, 04:42 AM
I have the Canon PowerShot S500 which is the 5mp pocketable and I can't detect any shutter lag with it. It uses a CF card (Type I) and has an MSRP of $500 - Street Price significantly less. I bought it because it's small enough to hang on my belt when I'm bicycling or other times I don't want to carry the Pro1 or the EOS-1DMkII.

Littleshmee
10-28-2004, 04:43 AM
Hey,

The SD300 I played with didn't actually have a memory card in it, so I can't tell an accurate representation of shutter lag, but everything about it seemed quick. Start up time was very good (Comparable to the S70, or Sony's W1), and autofocus lock seemed quick. The thing that I was saying was 'incredible" is the refresh rate of the LCD - if you've ever played with a Nikon 3700, it's similar.

Gary Sheynkman
10-28-2004, 04:53 AM
I guess the Digic II processor in the SD300 is paying off.

rlobrecht
10-28-2004, 02:59 PM
I think as far as shutter lag is concerned, the only way you're going to find that info is from people who have experience with the cameras directly. No manufacturer that I know of ever supplies this info. I don't even see any of these specs listed on DP Review.

Most of the reviews I've read at DP Review have shutter lag listed, or at least some kind of comment on speed. Look here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons70/page4.asp in their recent Canon S70 review.

Phoenix
10-28-2004, 09:00 PM

Most of the reviews I've read at DP Review have shutter lag listed, or at least some kind of comment on speed. Look here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons70/page4.asp in their recent Canon S70 review.

Hey, thanks! I clearly didn't see that info before. I hope they continue to offer that for every camera - that's really helpful information.

Philip Colmer
10-29-2004, 10:05 AM

When you say "incredibly fast", do you mean the shutter lag? How long did it take from when you pressed the shutter button until the photo was taken? That's the #1 thing I'm looking for...
The dpreview of the Canon A95 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/), for example, states that this time is ~0.9 seconds.

However, I'm not quite sure that should be taken as the sole indicator of the camera's performance since the same review reckons the shot to shot time with the flash off is 2.4 seconds. That said, the A95 can take 8 frames in a burst running at 2 frames per second with 2592x1944 JPEG Super Fine mode.

I've just recommended this camera to a friend. The reviews out there are showing some wonderful example photos, it is a decent size, decent price and good level of resolution (5MP).

--Philip

KidKomputer
11-05-2004, 05:32 AM
I was in the same situation you were. I wanted a small camera with good start up time and fast shot-to-shot time. I ended up choosing the Kyocera SL400R. It has pretty good start up time and incredibly fast burst mode 3.3fps until the card is full .(I always use it in burst mode and just delete the shots I don't want), and very low shutter lag. The picture quality is about what I'd expect from a camera of this size.

There are some downsides to the camera though:
-low light performance is pretty bad
Not a big deal for me as I'll mostly be using this for action shots of snowboarding, outdoors in reasonable light.
-Lens is not covered, have to keep it in the case when not in use
-Battery life is middling to poor (this hasn't been an issue for me though)
You can read a review of the 3mp version here http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sl300r.html the 400 is the same camera with a 4mp sensor.

My short list was the Exilim, Pentax, and the Kyocera. The Kyocera won due to low lag, burst speed, and movie mode
If you can wait, there was a press release for the Contax U4R which is the same camera with a Zeiss lens http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/product.asp?itemnum=110031

ctmagnus
05-07-2005, 06:35 AM
I dunno if you've found one yet, but I got a Pentax Optio S5n at Vistek for $400. I can't comment on how great the pictures are as I'm not much of a photograpgher to begin with and I'll definitely have to get a tripod at some point as I tend to shake quite a bit when doing things such as holding a camera ;)

Here's a pic of it on a CD case (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/media/users/89/IMG_0470.JPG) (Size: 2,155.2 KB) for an idea of it's size.

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Hehe, yea, Jason, what was your solution?