View Full Version : Virgin Says iPod Market Share Not Going To Last

Kent Pribbernow
10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2004/10/12/ap1586054.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2004/10/12/ap1586054.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"No one else has the same sort of brand energy that Apple or Virgin has. Plus, our heritage is music," said Greg Woock, chief executive of Virgin Electronics. "Apple is dominating, yes, but the market share that it has today is not going to last."</i><br /><br />Analysts and pundits keep saying this and yet iPod's market share continues to leave everyone in the dust. So when is the iPod going to be crushed by the competition? :roll:

Zack Mahdavi
10-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Maybe when the other companies stop focusing on adding useless features and instead focus on providing a well-built product with a friendly interface? Also, a little marketing from these other companies could help.

I've never seen Creative, Rio, iRiver, or Dell advertise their products on television. Why? Are they scared about investing too much in a product that may not take off?

If Apple stays competitive, then most likely they will keep the lead for a long time. If they fumble like how Sony has in the past few years, then just like Sony, they will lose market share very rapidly.

As long as the iPod stays cool, Apple will stay on top. Period.

Mojo Jojo
10-13-2004, 05:15 PM
...Analysts and pundits keep saying this ...

I agree, I mean I can see this type of propoganada from competitors, I mean what else are they supposed to say other then the 'we will crush them'.

However the anaylst seem to have this hell bent bias that insists that Apple is going to fail. Now I can't say that Apple will succeed but my main sticking point is that they shouldn't be saying anything yet. It is too early and contridicts ever single statistic out there (50%,75% or 92% no matter which one you believe even the lowest says Apple is in a good spot).

But when I see people proclaiming that the iPod is near death and soon to be crushed, all I can equate it too is them trying to tell me the sky isn't blue but some pattern of plaid.