View Full Version : 1G and 2G iPods: The End of an Era

James Fee
09-26-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=177_0_1_0_C' target='_blank'>http://www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=177_0_1_0_C</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>A generation is dying and there's nothing I can do about it. There comes a time when one must face the inevitable: the passing on of someone near and dear to their heart. A generation that set the standard for all that would follow. A generation that changed the world. A generation that is slowly dying off. I'm talking of course about the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. One by one, 1G and 2G iPods are biting the dust only to fade away into a distant memory, replaced by slimmer, shinier replacements. Some of the unlucky ones died early: through accidental falls and unintentional coffee spills. But for those who are left, who are hitting their golden years of 2 and 3 years old, natural causes will take their toll. Those natural causes of course will be a dead battery damaging what little life our loved ones still have and presenting us with the dreaded decision: replace the battery or replace our friends all together.</i>"<br /><br />The early iPods are getting older and many are left with a tough decision, upgrade to a new player or spend money on new batteries. I'm sure every hard drive player owner will have to make this decision in a year or two, but will they have the options that iPod owners have?

sub_tex
09-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Isn't it pretty sad that you can't trust a music player to last past 2 years? This isn't like upgrading your computer because you can't run the latest games on it. This is an mp3 player! It does exactly what it was intended to do.

2 years life expectancy is horrendous.

Mojo Jojo
09-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Some first gens are still serving their owners faithfully. 2 years is not a self destruction date. I think some people treat their players with a little less care, such as leaving it in a car over night with low temps, partial charges and the such.

At any rate, people have a hard time resisting the call of new. Some just need the excuse to open the wallets and spend. :D

Zack Mahdavi
09-26-2004, 09:39 PM
My 10GB 2nd Gen iPod is still running strong. The battery life is still excellent, and everything runs perfectly. Unfortunately, my iPod is filled to capacity, so I might end up buying the 4th generation model.

I must say that my iPod has been one durable device. It has taken a couple of protected falls and it still loves to play... I know my next mp3 player will be another iPod.

Jason Dunn
09-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Isn't it pretty sad that you can't trust a music player to last past 2 years?

The device itself should certainly last, it's the battery that you can expect to go, especially if it's constantly being re-charged. The same thing happens to Pocket PCs, laptops, and most other devices with batteries. I don't see anything unusual about having to replace a battery that's 48 months old.

dean_shan
09-26-2004, 11:55 PM
You could always gut your iPod and recover the HD. But I think that's a worst-case scenario.

klinux
09-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Hmm, a little dramatic? My 20GB 2nd generation iPod is still running great.

James Fee
09-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Hmm, a little dramatic? My 20GB 2nd generation iPod is still running great.Probably, but I think his points are valid. Batteries get weaker and newer units look sweeter...

Hmm, did I just rhyme there? :lol:

Anthony Caruana
09-28-2004, 02:20 AM
iPOD batteries are replaceable - if you're prepared to open the device up.
Other World Computing provide replacement batteries.

A friend ordered and installed his to a 2nd gen iPOD and to quote him

"the 2100mAh battery ran for 21 hours and 3 minutes."

The kit comes with the battery and instructions.