View Full Version : The Future of Digital Media - Not So Bright?

Jason Dunn
09-20-2004, 05:34 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1647315,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532' target='_blank'>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1647315,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We've built our share of HTPCs in the past, including a home theater PC with a high-definition receiver. But if you want HDTV in your home theater PC, you're stuck with over-the-air reception. Today, that's not such a bad thing: Terrestrial HDTV (at least in major metropolitan areas) offers a wide array of programming. However, you won't get HBO or Showtime in HD, you don't get ESPN in HD and you won't get other interesting, premium services over the air. For those, you need cable or satellite. Sure, you can hook up your HTPC to a satellite or digital cable box, but now you're one layer removed from the electronic programming guide, and you're dealing with kludgy IR blasters if you want to integrate remote control functionality. And it's going to get worse before it gets better..."</i><br /><br />A rather grim look at the future of digital media - it's not looking rosy folks. :?

Gary Sheynkman
09-20-2004, 05:37 AM
gonna have to rename the site :roll:

makicr
09-20-2004, 05:45 AM
I am wondering if one will be able to modify their HTPC to allow the use of the future CableCards. FCC is requiring cable companies to allow the use of "owned" set-top boxes; worst case is that you will have to buy a box and mod it to allow direct control (w/o IR blaster) of the box.

Felix Torres
09-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, you have to take things according to the source.
And in this case the author has a definite anti-DRM agenda.
(Might even be an ABMer, given how he went out of his way to flame MS and Gates.)

At this point in time, as near as I can tell, there are three realities facing the potential HD consumer:

1- There *will* be content locks.
2- You will *not* be able to do *everything* you can envision.
3- Today's hardware will likely be "obsolete" in two years.

I would worry more about the latter than the former.
I think a lot of folks are investing large sums into hardware that will never be able to partake of the full HD experience that will emerge once the market goes through the coming convulsions and settles down into a final steady state.

The next few years are going to be hell, especially for early adopters, as the war between users and content providers heats up.

Eventually, of course, a common set of rules as to what can and cannot be recorded and redistributed will emerge that is pretty much guaranteed to be more restrictive than we are now used to be but falls (hopefully) well short of the studios fears of infinite redistribution and, worse yet, commercial-less viewing.

Gotta remember that the real fear they have is that we'll record everything and strip out the commercials, thereby depriving them of their main source of revenue.
And unlike infinite redistribution, it is one they should fear.
Nobody watches commercials if they can help it, not even the cute-n-clever ones...

Mojo Jojo
09-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Actually... I just read the article but isn't this technology already in place?

MS Media Centers already scan the signal for a copyright flag. Most TV/Cable signals do NOT carry this flag now so Media Centers will still record. MS didn't remove recording ability but skated around the issue by being compliant with the copyright flag and when it could or could not record.

MS relies on the fact that most broadcasters and distribution companies do not implement the technology that already exists.

You can find out more buried in the Media Center FAQ; look up Recorded TV and Content Protection

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx#ECAAA

You can still record, but can only view it with the machine that recorded it.

This has a lot to do with an early discussion about the legality of VCR machines, recording for later, and fast forwarding through commercials that we discussed in an earlier thread.

... and on that note... segway to an interesting development currently going on...

The Betamax ruling which is the foundation of all this is currently being brought to the United States court of Appeals (for the seventh distrcit)

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/20030529_aimster-amicus.pdf

It is a little dry to read but something of interest if the topic moves you.