View Full Version : Looking for suggestions.

pacemkr
09-12-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm about to buy my first digital camera and am looking for some recommendations.

My price range is sub $300. I need a camera that can take good pictures in low light. Megapixel wise, at least 3 is fine. I dont really plan to print 8x11 shots, mostly I'm going to store them on my pc.

Here is what I've come up with so far:
Canon SD110 and S410
Are HP cameras any good?
Any other models that I should consider.

I thought it would be an easy choice, but there are SO MANY. :P

Thanks in advance.

djh
09-12-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm looking for a point and shoot camera for my daughter. She needs something that is compact, simple to use but still can take great pictures.

The S410 seems to fit the bill nicely. I don't think she is going to want any manual controls and there is no need to go for a resolution higher than 4MP. The average price seems to be just under $300.00 so fits your budget.

I'm not considering the SD110, just because I have plenty of CF cards kicking around that I spare for my daughter. The SD110 uses SD memory cards.

Canon also has some great cameras in your price range that give you the option of more manual features. The A85 is just below $300.00 and would be worth looking at. Also, the S1 with it's super zoom lens can be bought for about $320.

One thing though, you won't get super low light performance out of any of these compact cameras. Ones that have a manual focus option (A85, S1) might be better. I have an S1 and find that the image stabilizer is great for slow shutter times.

I've never investigated HP cameras. I don't think you can go wrong with Canon. I have an S1 and S60 and they are both great.

Crocuta
09-12-2004, 02:52 AM
I don't have a suggestion of a specific camera. As you say, there are SO many and everyone's needs are different. But I do have a suggestion for something for you to do to help you decide. When you've narrowed it down to a half dozen options or so (as it sounds like you have), then go over to http://www.dpreview.com/ and read their review on each model you're considering. Phil does such totally detailed reviews that you'll learn a lot you didn't know about them and you may find that your preferences start to sort themselves out. Then, when you've narrowed to just a couple, go to the forum for each camera brand on the same site and look for threads about your model. Read them all. Those are people who already own the cameras that are talking all about them... what they like, what they hate, how to get around limitations, etc. You'll get a very good feel for what it's like to own that camera. By the time you do that for your top few choices, you'll almost certainly have developed a preference. Then go to a store and handle them. In the end, it's sometimes the little things that make one camera 'fit' you better than the next. I know this it a bit of work, but I think it's worth it to make sure you get a camera you'll be happy with.

pacemkr
09-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Wow, you really made me think djh.

I'd love to have a camera that takes beautiful pictures in any light condition, and that 10x optical zoom (on the S1) looks SO tempting. At the same time I'd want a camera that would be easy to take to a party to take some quick and dirty shots, my camera phone just doesnt cut it. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion Crocuta. I've spent a lot of time at dpreview already. I'm probably gonna visit an electronics store just to play with some of these.

What is the advantage of A85 over the S410? What do you mean by manual control? I'm no pro as you can tell, but I do like pretty pictures and am determined to learn how to capture them. :D