View Full Version : MSN Music Beta Store is Open

James Fee
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://beta.music.msn.com/' target='_blank'>http://beta.music.msn.com/</a><br /><br /></div>Well, anyone care to comment on how it works? Don't see any free songs to test download, nor do I have a WMA media player. Anyone care to give it a try?

attisb
09-01-2004, 11:45 PM
This should help you.

http://beta.music.msn.com/help/install

James Fee
09-01-2004, 11:50 PM
This should help you.

http://beta.music.msn.com/help/install
Oh, I can listen to songs, but I don't want to waste my money on WMA files. :lol: I was hoping some other users could let us know what they think of it.

Suhit Gupta
09-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I find it a bit odd that they aren't giving away a few songs free as a preview. I mean it is a beta service, it would be cool to try it out first without spending money.

Suhit

James Fee
09-02-2004, 12:13 AM
It seems to work with Firefox and Safari. Not that you can listen to the music on a Mac anyway. I don't see anything such as gift certificates or iMixes though and the interface is pretty sparse. I assume this will be tightened as time goes on. Also it sees very complex compared to iTunes, but I guess that might change too....

Still competeing with partners suck as MusicMatch and Napster isn't the best way to spur adoption of the platform. (Sorry, had to put that dig in there, I'm done now)

James Fee
09-02-2004, 12:22 AM
At the risk of spamming this thread...

How can I get MSN Music downloads to play on my iPod?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Apple computers and Apple iPods do not support the PC standard WindowsMedia format for music, it is still possible to transfer MSN Music downloads to an iPod, but it will require some extra effort. To transfer MSN-downloaded music to an iPod, you need to first create a CD with the music, and then you need to import that CD into iTunes. This process will convert the music into a format that can play on the iPod. We're sorry that this isn't easier - unfortunately Apple refuses to allow other companies to integrate with the iPod's proprietary music format. If you are an iPod owner already and unhappy about this policy, you are welcome to send feedback to Apple requesting that they change their interoperability policy.

http://beta.music.msn.com/help/ipod

Or just use iTunes? :? Still telling us to get around their DRM can't make the RIAA very happy....

Felix Torres
09-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Try this:
"Generous rights: MSN Music allows you to play your music on up to five Windows PCs, burn playlists to CD up to seven times, and transfer to an unlimited number of portable audio devices."

Unlimited number of portable audio devices?
Should be interesting to see this tested.
Especially in dorms across the country...
:twisted:

Downloads are 160Kps WMA, btw.
I've been window-shopping and so far I've had no trouble finding my way around; I've thrown some...idiosyncratic artist names at the search and I've found something about each and full complements of songs by the artists that *should* be fully available, even in a beta.

So far I gotta say I like it; it follows Windows logic and conventions nicely.
And they have a link asking for suggestions.
I'll be suggesting they add an option for WMA-lossless...

James Fee
09-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Downloads are 160Kps WMA, btw.
Good news. Now Apple will have to increase theirs. To say 128Kps AAC is as good as 160Kps WMA is a joke and no one believes that.
I'll be suggesting they add an option for WMA-lossless...
Good, I've been doing it on iTunes weekly. I'm waiting to get banned over there.

Jason Dunn
09-02-2004, 03:14 AM
We're sorry; your account cannot purchase the plan you have selected, MSN Music.
This can happen for one of the following reasons:
You currently have this plan or a similar plan.
You have previously purchased this plan.
This plan is not available in your Country or Region.

AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH! SONOFA@!*&#(*!!!!

Suhit Gupta
09-02-2004, 03:22 AM
We're sorry; your account cannot purchase the plan you have selected, MSN Music.
This can happen for one of the following reasons:
You currently have this plan or a similar plan.
You have previously purchased this plan.
This plan is not available in your Country or Region.

AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH! SONOFA@!*&#(*!!!!
So you have previously purchased this plan or you currently have a similar plan, right? ;-) Sorry man...

Suhit

James Fee
09-02-2004, 04:19 AM
AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHH! SONOFA@!*&#(*!!!!I guess the dog team hasn't reached the great white north yet huh?

Jason Dunn
09-02-2004, 04:34 AM
So you have previously purchased this plan or you currently have a similar plan, right? ;-) Sorry man...

Pft. I wish. No, it's not available in Canada. :evil:

JR
09-02-2004, 04:35 AM
No, it's not available in Canada. :evil:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Warm up the foul-language filters!!!

Mojo Jojo
09-02-2004, 01:56 PM
I guess I just have two gripes here...

My first one is somewhat trivial but it still bugs me.

"We're sorry that this isn't easier - unfortunately Apple refuses to allow other companies to integrate with the iPod's proprietary music format. If you are an iPod owner already and unhappy about this policy, you are welcome to send feedback to Apple requesting that they change their interoperability policy."

When did help files become fair game for marketing propoganda? It just strikes me as very immature and a little crude to use that marketing in a help file. In addition they never really point out that if it was in MP3 format you could skip the conversion, no, there is no man behind the curtain. I don't think you get to bash one DRM and push your own DRM limitations under the rug, or at least I would expect better of a professional company. Perhaps I set my standards too high.

Second...
Could we reduce some of the extra marketing? Ads on the Editor's Picks? I know we all tend to gloss over ads now on the internet but really if I am using the music store I am there to buy music not airline tickets or anything else they are pushing. Maybe I am old fashion but the continued push to sell through ads in a 'store' is a little much. When I am shopping on Newegg, Amazon, or L.L. Bean I am not being pushed ads.

I guess the ads feel disrespectful of me as a customer.

Felix Torres
09-02-2004, 04:15 PM
When I am shopping on Newegg, Amazon, or L.L. Bean I am not being pushed ads.

I guess the ads feel disrespectful of me as a customer.

Actually, Amazon does push ads while you're shopping.
As do brick-n-mortar stores.
I guess MS just wants to replicate the *full* instore shopping experience.
They just haven't figured out to have overly made up ladies spraying perfume in your face yet... :twisted:

Mojo Jojo
09-02-2004, 06:00 PM
"Hrm, I haven't heard this song before...

...what the... (sprits sprits)

...MY EYES!!! IT BURNS!!!!! " :P

As for Amazon I think it is a little different, yes they have Ads but usually its for their own sections in the store. A little more appropriate I suppose. But dating services? Maybe if it was an MSN dating service... maybe I don't want to see that either. :D