View Full Version : QuickTime Stream of Phil Schiller's Keynote From Apple Expo

James Fee
08-31-2004, 11:53 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://stream.apple.akadns.net/' target='_blank'>http://stream.apple.akadns.net/</a><br /><br /></div>Apple has posted an MPEG-4 QuickTime stream of Phil Schiller's keynote from Apple Expo in Paris. Of course you'll need Quicktime...

Jason Dunn
09-01-2004, 04:24 AM
Ok, is there some conspiracy for us Windows users watching this? Just like the last Jobs keynote I watched, the audio level is so very quiet. I have the audio slider in Quicktime cranked, and the Windows system volume cranked, yet I can JUST hear it.

I always like watching these - it's like watching a religious cult video. :D This guy doesn't have the same voodoo sway that Stevie has. I'm going to be doing a stream of consciousness post as I watch this...and, oh, there may be a lot of eye-rolling in this. :lol:

That 58% market share is completely misleading - he never mentions that it's based on dollar value, and because the iPod is so expensive, that's a very important point. I hate statistical "tweaking" like that.

I love those iPod ads - the concept and direction is brilliant. Why does it seem like Apple is the only technology company that can hire creative people?? :roll:

Wait wait, you mean things shown on an 80 foot projector screen AREN'T LIFE SIZED??? I'm crushed. :lol:

"Some people do have PCs..." - yeah, uh, 98% of the world. :roll:

The way AirPort Express integrates with iTunes is pretty cool - but does that mean that if you're pumping the audio to your kitchen speakers, you can't also listen to the music on your Mac?

The BMW integration is slick - very slick. The fact that it connects AND charges the iPod is very, very cool. Makes me with I had to commute to work. Oh, and that I had a BMW. :P

iTunes has 1 million songs? That's cool - I didn't realize that they broke that mark. Music for everyone? Uh, no - iTunes isn't available in Canada. UK, France, Germany...5 million songs sold so far in Europe? Wow - nicely done.

The graphics for THE INCREDIBLES looks great - although it's a little hard to see with all the Quicktime pixellation...but the comic book-style graphics looks very cool. I wonder what resolution that's running at? The GeForce 5200FX is an underpowered video card - I wonder why Apple can never seem to get the high-end cards that the PC world has? I bet cost is a factor - if they put in a $600 USD video card, that would push the cost even higher.

1 BILLION POLYGONS! That reminds me of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers... :lol:

The Motion demo with the sunglasses was very cool. Gotta' love those particle effects! :-D Hmm - I haven't tried Adobe After Effects in a while - I wonder how the latest version stacks up against Motion? It's interesting to note that the software is less expensive in Europ - 289 pounds versus 299 USD.

Damn there's a lot of buffering. Apple needs more bandwidth... :?

HTML email composition for sharing with Windows clients? What, Windows can't read plain text? :D

When he's talking about search...20, 30, 40 GB systems? Yeah, maybe if you're talking about laptops. :roll: I'd rather have them poke fun at Microsoft and Longhorn, and be funny about it, rather than the smug, fake sadness. Bleh. Makes me want to vomit. :pukeface: Spotlight sounds useful though - I wonder how much hard drive trashing it will cause though with constant indexing?

The iChat application is quite impressive - it was awesome how it showed four people chatting, with the reflection below them, and when the total number of people was reduced, it faded away and zoomed up the remaining people. Excellent!

The new iMac? Hmm...I'm not sure what to think. Interesting design, very cool how thin it is. The slot load DVD drive is superb - I've always loved those and wondered by more PCs/laptops don't use them.

• 1.8 Ghz? I know Apple says their CPU is extremely fast, but that's less than half the speed of the current top-end P4. At least they didn't spout off about it being the fastest computer on the planet again...
• 25 db noise when idle? Impressive!
• 600 mhz bus? Not cutting edge there.
• Expandable to 2 GB? That's a common limit for laptops, not desktops.
• 8x AGP graphics? Yawn - where's the PCI Express? This is going to be used for consumer games, right?
• Integrated speakers? I have my doubts, but who knows, they might sound ok.
• Slide away keyboard? Slick.
• 64 MB GeForce FX5200? That's a full generation behind the rest of the world
• Ports on the right side? Seems like there would be a snarl of cables. It would have been better to have them connect through the base. The connectivity on the back is impressive though.
• $1299 USD? Too expensive for entry level - they should have done a 15" widescreen model and got it to $999 USD. Even at $999 USD that's an "expensive computer" compared to the $500 USD eMachines out there
• 20" widescreen iMac with 160 GB? Nice. :-)
• Still no two button mouse. :lol:

It's interesting how they're billing it as "from the creators of the iPod" - as if no one knew Apple before this. ;-)

And that's the end. Cool to see the Black Eyed Peas in there...