View Full Version : DualDiscs Coming: Music on one Side, DVD Video on the Other

Jason Dunn
08-25-2004, 08:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Labels+to+introduce+new+disc+format/2100-1027_3-5322884.html?part=rss&tag=5322884&subj=news.1027.5' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Labels+to+introduce+new+disc+format/2100-1027_3-5322884.html?part=rss&tag=5322884&subj=news.1027.5</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A group of record labels announced on Tuesday plans to introduce a new disc format later this year that combines CD and DVD technology. The consortium, which includes major labels EMI Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, said the DualDisc product has a full album on a CD side of the disc and the album in enhanced sound--such as DVD-Audio--on the other side. The DVD side also includes a range of features, such as music videos, interviews, photo galleries, Web links, concert footage and lyrics, the DualDisc Consortium said. DualDiscs are compatible with nearly any device that can currently play a CD or a DVD, and will be available beginning in October, the consortium said."</i><br /><br />Now this sounds interesting - assuming that these DualDiscs are no more expensive than regular albums, this is the kind of added value that will encourage people to buy CDs. They'll be getting more value for their money, which shows perhaps a glimmer of hope that the entertainment industry is thinking about ways to woo back the consumer rather than beat them over the head with threats. :roll:

Doug Johnson
08-25-2004, 07:11 PM
I find this interesting, and I am wondering how they are pulling it off.

DVDs contain the data layer near the middle of the disc. CDs, on the other hand, have the data layer very close to the label side. A CD player laser focuses considerably deeper into the disc than a DVD player. So to make a workable disc, the resulting disc thickness would have to be CD data depth+data layers thickness+buffer space between+dvd data depth, which is considerably thicker than current discs.

I'm a little perplexed as to how they are making it work.

Suhit Gupta
08-26-2004, 04:15 AM
Also there is the generic argument about now having to keep track of scratches on both sides of the disk.

Suhit