View Full Version : Macrovision to Offer AAC Support on Locked CDs Later this Year

James Fee
08-24-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/macrovision_fairplay/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/macrovision_fairplay/</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>Copy protection provider Macrovision is sufficiently confident that it will be able to incorporate FairPlay support into its CDS-300 copy control that is has begun telling customers that it will add iTunes and iPod support to its software in Q4. According to mailings sent out with the company's CDS-300 version 7 beta release, "support for iPod and iTunes... will be made available in a Q4 update". The blurb claims that support will be enabled "via Apple FairPlay". That suggests that Macrovision has indeed managed to license Apple's DRM technology - or is sufficiently confident of doing so that it can provide a timeframe for the code's adoption.</i>"<br /><br />I can't say that I am surprised as you have to support the biggest single market. The reasons to need WMA keep getting smaller and smaller. 8)

Jason Dunn
08-24-2004, 03:52 PM
"The reasons to need WMA keep getting smaller and smaller."

Uh, unless you don't have an iPod. ;-)

James Fee
08-25-2004, 04:52 AM
"The reasons to need WMA keep getting smaller and smaller."

Uh, unless you don't have an iPod. ;-)
Doesn't everyone? :P

Jason Dunn
08-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Doesn't everyone? :P

You gotta' lay off the Apple Kool Aid man! :wink:

James Fee
08-26-2004, 01:40 AM
You gotta' lay off the Apple Kool Aid man! :wink:
You must have me confused with Kent.... :lol:

Suhit Gupta
08-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Seriously though, have you guys noticed that several people have just plain stopped using the words music player and instead just call every music player (whether hard drive based or flash based) an iPod?! :roll:

Suhit

James Fee
08-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Seriously though, have you guys noticed that several people have just plain stopped using the words music player and instead just call every music player (whether hard drive based or flash based) an iPod?! :roll:
Like TiVo, its an easy name to remember and say....

Suhit Gupta
08-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Like TiVo, its an easy name to remember and say....
Yeah, but with TiVo, there weren't very many competitors until recently. In fact ReplayTV was the only thing around. And the iPod had a large number of competitors almost instantly. And there is such a larger variety in look and functionality. Well, I think I am the only one that feels this way, so shutting up now. :(

Suhit

James Fee
08-26-2004, 04:58 PM
You think they should be called "iRivers"? ;)

Suhit Gupta
08-26-2004, 05:46 PM
You think they should be called "iRivers"? ;)
Haha, why not? No, they should be called PMPs or hard drive based music players or flash music players. PMP of course is the shortest and easiest to say, of the lot.

Suhit