View Full Version : OurTunes Music Sharing Hack For iTunes

Kent Pribbernow
08-20-2004, 10:50 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Hackers+revive+iTunes+music+sharing/2100-1026_3-5316700.html?tag=nl' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Hackers+revive+iTunes+music+sharing/2100-1026_3-5316700.html?tag=nl</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A Stanford University programmer has released new software that allows music to be swapped via Apple Computer's popular iTunes jukebox. Like an older piece of software called "MyTunes," student David Blackman's new "OurTunes" allows a person to browse complete iTunes libraries on other computers and download songs, either in MP3 or the AAC format preferred by Apple."</i><br /><br />Just what Apple needs...more intrusions into its intellectual properties. Though this software doesn't allow music downloading over the internet, it does enable a group of users on a LAN or network to trade files. Like Schools and Universities perhaps? <br /><br />I loved this comment by OurTunes creator David Blackman: <i>"I'm a Linux guy. I expect my software to be extensible,"</i>. Ooh..I'm ever so impressed by your l33tne$$. :roll:

Gary Sheynkman
08-20-2004, 11:47 PM
um..uh

itunes lets you share files over a lan anyway

dean_shan
08-21-2004, 07:10 PM
um..uh

itunes lets you share files over a lan anyway

Stream, not download. This let's you download the song not just stream it.

Mojo Jojo
08-23-2004, 04:00 PM
And people wonder why DRM's are getting more and more draconian. The more people bypass these things, the more and more owners are going to clamp down.

*(sigh)*

In the end the legit users get the shaft. Thanks...

Felix Torres
08-23-2004, 05:07 PM
And people wonder why DRM's are getting more and more draconian. The more people bypass these things, the more and more owners are going to clamp down.

*(sigh)*

In the end the legit users get the shaft. Thanks...

Exactly.
Actions have consequences.
Often diametrically opposed to the intent of the perpetrator.
Want free access to content?
Try bypassing the vendor's safeguards and see them comeback with stronger, more restictive measures.
(Anybody think blue-laser HD content will be encrypted with CSS or anything *that* simple?)

Companies tend to get testy when folks go out of their way to rip'em off.
And yes, the legitimate customers get caught in the middle with ever-tightenten DRM and use restrictions (Broadcast flag restrictions, anybody?) or worse, non-availability of mainstream content (eBooks, where the limited range of non-PC hardware has combined with the publishers fear of getting ripped off to stall the development of contemporary commercial content.)

Eventually it'll all get settled but it will take way too long and its going to be hell on legitimate users in the meantime.

TINSTAAFL!