View Full Version : Does anyone know about HD-burn CD-R's?

The Yaz
08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I was looking at Techdeals and they noted that Live Warehouse has the OptoRite DD1205 12X Double Layer DVD+RW/-RW drive for $82.99USD. When I went to the site they noted that in addition to burning DVD in Dual Layer, their drive incorporated HD-Burn technology that would double the capacity of a CD-R.

I haven't hear of this. Does this mean that a regular CD-r could be used in a DVD player and have 1.4gig of video? That would be like 2 1/2 hours of video stored as MPEG1/VCD quality if its possible.

Any info on this technology would be appreciated.

Steve

Jason Dunn
08-05-2004, 10:18 PM
There have been a few implementations of this type of enhanced CD burning, but the industry never agreed on a standard because DVD burning was seen as the best approach for more capacity. The problem is that not all CD-ROMs will read those double-capacity burns because it's not part of the official CD spec. Given how cheap DVD media is becoming, I wouldn't put much emphasis on this part if I were you. ;-)

Suhit Gupta
08-09-2004, 01:04 AM
According to Optorite "High-density writing technology (HD-BURN) doubles the capacity of a conventional CD-R media". I wonder whether this is similar to Dual layer DVD burning.

Which brings me to my other point, it looks like there is a distinct difference between double layer and dual layer DVD burners. Double layer seems to refer to DVD +RW and -RW. OTOH, dual layer implies doubling the capacity of a DVD from 4.5GB to >8.5GB. Am I right in this observation or is there another way of describing this?

Suhit

Jason Dunn
08-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Which brings me to my other point, it looks like there is a distinct difference between double layer and dual layer DVD burners. Double layer seems to refer to DVD +RW and -RW. OTOH, dual layer implies doubling the capacity of a DVD from 4.5GB to >8.5GB. Am I right in this observation or is there another way of describing this?

I've never seen dual-mode burners described as "double layer" - that's certianly not an accurate description of it. "Dual Mode" meana -R/+R recording, "double layer" means 8.5 GB of data.

Suhit Gupta
08-09-2004, 06:57 AM
I've never seen dual-mode burners described as "double layer" - that's certianly not an accurate description of it. "Dual Mode" meana -R/+R recording, "double layer" means 8.5 GB of data.
Hmm, I am definitely seeing a mix of the terms dual and double layer. Of course this is usually with low cost vendors so I guess it can be expected.

Suhit