View Full Version : Doom 3: I Finally Have It

Suhit Gupta
08-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Check it... after many, many years of yearning and waiting, the moment is here. I have Doom 3. And this post fits here on DMT because it certainly is digital media related :)

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/doom3.jpg

Yeah baby! :) Now off to waste several hours/days...

Kent Pribbernow
08-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Arg!!!! Now I'm the one who is jealous! 8O

It really looks like an awesome game, but my heart is still set on Half-Life 2. Oh baby. Where is that drool emoticon when I need it? :lol:

Seriously, we really should setup a special game server for Thoughts subscribers to play each other (and us editors) online. That would totally rock. :rock on dude!: And waste far too much of my precious free time. :cry:

Suhit Gupta
08-03-2004, 01:46 AM
It really looks like an awesome game, but my heart is still set on Half-Life 2. Oh baby. Where is that drool emoticon when I need it? :lol:
Yeah I have that no pre-order and am hoping it will be just as good.
Seriously, we really should setup a special game server for Thoughts subscribers to play each other (and us editors) online. That would totally rock. :rock on dude!: And waste far too much of my precious free time. :cry:
Yeah, that would be totally cool. The only unfortunate part about this game is that it allows only 4 players join a multiplayer game. But other than that, the graphics on this game are awesome. I am only running it on Medium Quality level graphics and I have pretty much maxed out my ATI 9800. The only level lower is Low Quality. And the game is totally scary, wow. Ok, enough of a break, back to the game.

Suhit

foldedspace
08-03-2004, 02:57 AM
It's nice that they allow the game to be played on lower-end (relatively speaking) hardware. You going to do a full review?

We could run an Unreal server. Some of the newer mods for Onslaught are very cool.

Suhit Gupta
08-03-2004, 04:12 AM
It's nice that they allow the game to be played on lower-end (relatively speaking) hardware. You going to do a full review?
Hmm, wasn't planning on it. :)
We could run an Unreal server. Some of the newer mods for Onslaught are very cool.
That would be awesome. Any volunteers? I have spent a fair bit of time playing Onslaught on the web now and it would be cool to play with all of you. We could make it like a nice weekend event.

Suhit

David Prahl
08-03-2004, 12:18 PM
How'd you get a (legal) copy two days early? I thought it launched on Wednesday here in the USA?

I've played the second beta...SCARY! Time for a change of pants and a new video card! :wink:

piperpilot
08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Still waiting for my copy of the game to arrive from Amazon.com. So psyched!

Suhit Gupta
08-03-2004, 02:54 PM
How'd you get a (legal) copy two days early? I thought it launched on Wednesday here in the USA?
I had reserved it at GameSpot here in NYC and they released it last night at 7pm.

Suhit

Kent Pribbernow
08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I have spent a fair bit of time playing Onslaught on the web now and it would be cool to play with all of you. We could make it like a nice weekend event.

I'm an admin for a small game host server called Voodoo HQ (http://voodoohq.net/). We don't offer Onslaught, unfortunately, but we do host NOLF2 (No One Lives Forever 2) and AVP (Aliens Vs. Predator). If you've never played either game, you don't know what you're missing! 8O

Suhit Gupta
08-03-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm an admin for a small game host server called Voodoo HQ (http://voodoohq.net/). We don't offer Onslaught, unfortunately, but we do host NOLF2 (No One Lives Forever 2) and AVP (Aliens Vs. Predator). If you've never played either game, you don't know what you're missing! 8O
I have played both NOLF and NOLF 2 and I must say that I have never laughed quite as hard in a game as in either of those games. The commentary is fantastic.

Suhit

foldedspace
08-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Are these variations on something like Deathmatch, or is there something that has to be downloaded to play?

Suhit Gupta
08-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Today is my first day of getting good sleep, not being red-eyed, not having played Doom 3, having caught up with all my work, and relieving lots of people worldwide that I do exist (i.e. haven't fallen off the face of the planet :)). The game is awesome, I love it. The graphics are way cool. My big problem is that I chose this time to also pick up Warcraft III, Diablo 2 (both with all expansion packs) and dabbled with City of Heroes and Farcry. So it was a gamers heaven week. I can't wait for my nVidia 6800 Ultra to arrive.

Suhit

piperpilot
08-12-2004, 12:33 PM
I tried playing Doom III last night, but there's something wrong with the install. When I launch the game from my desktop, it won't load. It asks me for CD1. I put in the CD and start playing the game. About 5 minutes later, the game just stops and closes down. I tried reinstalling it, but the result was the same. It's not like I have an old broken down computer. I am playing it on a 2-month old Dell XPS with 1GB of memory and an ATI 256MB DDR video card. To say that I am frustrated and disappointed is putting it mildly. Any suggestions? :cry:

Suhit Gupta
08-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Did you install Windows XP SP2? If so then that may be your cause as I have been reading and getting some reports that XP SP2 blocks programs quite aggressively. Although that really does not explain why you are able to play for 5 minutes before it shuts down. Of course it may also be a memory error (video or system). Try looking at the computer's event log and see if there are any useful events generated.

Also, try completely uninstalling the game, rebooting and then reinstalling (with a reboot afterwards for good measure).

Suhit

piperpilot
08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks Suhit. I have not yet installed SP2 and I did completely uninstall the program, reboot and install it again with the same result. I think I am going to have to contact Activision customer support. We'll see how well that goes. In the meantime, I am still :cry:

Suhit Gupta
08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Are you having the same problem with other games? Oh, and here is another thing you could try, switch the game from Hardware Acceleration mode to software mode. The results will obviously not be pretty, but it will tell you whether it is the fault of your video card or not.

Suhit

piperpilot
08-12-2004, 02:06 PM
OK, I will give that a try. I don't know if it's doing this with other games, because I don't have any. My main gaming device is my iPAQ because it goes wherever I do.

Jonathon Watkins
08-13-2004, 01:10 AM

It has been suggested in the forums at PPCT as well. :wink:

Suhit Gupta
08-13-2004, 01:36 AM
It has been suggested in the forums at PPCT as well. :wink:
I know, Janak and I were talking about it. We need to figure out how to merge the threads. :)

Suhit