View Full Version : Apple Fires Back At RealNetworks

Kent Pribbernow
07-29-2004, 03:42 PM
<i>"We are stunned that RealNetworks has adopted the tactics and ethics of a hacker to break into the iPod, and we are investigating the implications of their actions under the DMCA and other laws. We strongly caution Real and their customers that when we update our iPod software from time to time it is highly likely that Real's Harmony technology will cease to work with current and future iPods."</i><br /><br />Strong words which indicate strong actions to come. I'm fairly certain Apple has some legal ground to stand on against Real's intrusion into their technology. What remains to be seen is whether we will see an endless cycle of software patches from Apple and Real as each company tries to undermine each others efforts to block and unblock iPod security measures. Remember what happened a few years ago when Microsoft and AOL were battling each other over IM access? We may be in store for another exciting adventure here.

Jason Dunn
07-29-2004, 05:08 PM
That didn't take very long - not surprising though. What is RealNetworks thinking? Of course, I always ask that question...

Zack Mahdavi
07-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Dang, Apple's PR and legal team no how to use to the English language. The statement makes Apple sound like they've been backstabbed by Real... of course, Apple HAS been cheated by Real, but those words really make you feel for Apple...

weird, huh?

The Yaz
07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
I would think that Apple would rather attack Real from a legal standpoint instead of a technology one. IMHO, what makes iPods popular is that they simply work.

If Apple starts requiring the masses to download patches and "refresh" their collection of music files to block out Real, then Real wins because it accomplished what it set out to do - screw Apple for not working with them!

Steve 8)

dean_shan
07-29-2004, 07:52 PM
I want to watch this. Could this bring on the death of Real?

Felix Torres
07-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I want to watch this. Could this bring on the death of Real?

Not likely.
Regardless of the outcome, it's not going to cost Real any *existing* customers or revenue.
If anything, they might pick up an unwary buyer or two.

On the technical side, it doesn't sound like they had to invest much effort to crack Fairplay, so even if they garner no new sales (as is most likely) the cost of the gambit won't impact their bottom line.

On the other hand, they've gotten a lot of publicity over this and as the old saw says, "there is no such thing as bad publicity".
Especially when you're on the outside looking in, trying to sell music without a viable platform and customer base of your own.

Phoenix
07-29-2004, 10:00 PM
That didn't take very long...

LOL, no kidding! Of course, I'm sure none of us are surprised.

What a mess. I just have to shake my head... Apple must look at Real like anyone would look at a fly - you just want to swat it away like the pest that it is.

James Fee
07-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Not likely.
Still we can hope can't we?

Zack Mahdavi
07-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Not likely.

Ouch.... :twisted:

Jonathon Watkins
07-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Not likely.

Harsh,........ but fair! :wink:

Suhit Gupta
07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Not likely.
Harsh,........ but fair! :wink:
Eh, it seems like a stupid decision on the part of Real, especially if they did not clear things with Apple (and it seems like that is the case).

Suhit