View Full Version : RealNetworks Pulls A Fast One On Apple

Kent Pribbernow
07-26-2004, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/RealNetworks+breaks+Apple%27s+hold+on+iPod/2100-1027_3-5282063.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/RealNetworks+breaks+Apple%27s+hold+on+iPod/2100-1027_3-5282063.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"RealNetworks is expected to announce Monday that it has unlocked some of Apple Computer's most tightly held technology secrets, giving its music a way onto the popular iPod digital music player."</i><br /><br />What do you do when someone won't let you into their home? Kick the door down of course. That appears to be the strategy Rob Glaser is employing here. You just know Steve Jobs was spitting bean sprouts through his nostrils upon reading this news. Now let's start placing bets to see how long it takes before Apple throws the full weight of its legal team at RealNetworks.

Phoenix
07-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Oh boy, it seems Real just stepped into some hot water. As in boiling.

Personally, I wouldn't have any interest in Real's bloat and other junk on my Ipod.

But in also seems to me that Glaser's ego was hurt when Jobs showed no interest in teaming up or partnering in some way with Real. So now Glaser attempts to make himself feel better and feel more important that what he is by trying to do things by "force".

Pride is a dangerous thing.

But I do have to say that even though some things may not be difficult to predict, it will be interesting to see just exactly how all of this will play out.

Felix Torres
07-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Let loose the hounds of law!

Anybody think there won't be a lawsuit by COB today?
I'm thinking DMCA...

Of course, Real *could* use the DeCSS defense: "Its really their fault for using such a weak copy protection." :twisted:

Don't think it'll fly, though.
The iPOD is a walled garden and Real just burglarized it.
So, outside of the embarrassment to Apple of having its Fairplay cracked so easily (its been what? Three months since Jobs thumbed his nose at Glaser?) Real has achieved very little here other than to stir up a hornets nest.

After all, what self-respecting pod-person would buy music from somebody other than Apple, right? 8)
(Gotta say, Mr Glazer has guts: first he sues MS because people don't like *his* software, and now he embarrasses Apple and dares them to sue *him*. I wonder if he'll sue Apple in return on anti-trust grounds...)

All in all, it is interesting to see there actually *is* a second Jobs-sized ego in the industry.

Who knew! :P
Looks like august is going to be a fun month...

Mojo Jojo
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
So I have to ask... does this guy sound like a fish on the bottom of a boat?

*flip* *flop* *flip* *flop*

First its... 'Apple won't let us play, they suck! Where taking our ball to the other playground!' in a loud voice so everyone on or near the playground can hear.

Now we find out that after all that ruckus they spent time and money trying to hack a digital file so it plays on an iPod... even though it sucks and Apple is going to wash out...

I wonder if this is the business equivalent of the last screams and pleas of a ship that is going down is like?

(FLIP SIDE TO BE CHARITABLE)

If they somehow pull it off, legally, then they will be the first music store to sell both file formats...

...but then I am reminded of all the crap Real installed trying to just get a lousy player. BURN IN BUSINESS HELL, REAL! Wait... did I just type that? Ooops. :)

Mike Temporale
07-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Now let's start placing bets to see how long it takes before Apple throws the full weight of its legal team at RealNetworks.

10 Minutes, with Guns-a-blazing :2gunfire: This just won't last. Why would the even think that this might be legal. Ah, well. Should be interesting...

Felix Torres
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
If they somehow pull it off, legally, then they will be the first music store to sell both file formats...

Actually, no.
Real only sells the music in *their* proprietary AAC format.
What they do is, once the portable player is connected, it:

1- Transcodes it to WMA with DRM
or
2- Wraps the AAC file in a Faux-Fairplay DRM wrapper.

The music stays on the PC in Real-AAC format so that if you want to replace the pod with a non-apple player, you can still play the music you bought on it, which iTunes doesn't allow.

The technical response from Apple is pretty straightforward; they release a patch for iTunes and a new firmware release for the pod and the walled garden is locked in again.
After all, Real currently has exactly zero customers for this technology they announced but have not shipped.
Plenty of time for Apple to ensure nobody is tempted off the reservation.

Now, the legal stuff is where the fun starts.
After all, Apple is the dominant vendor on the market and they brag about having 70% market share.
That *might* be enough for Real to sue them on antitrust grounds.

The only thing I see coming of this is billable hours...

crstbo623
07-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Seeing as one article I read said that RealNetworks was able to find the crack simply by using publically available information, Apple may not have grounds for a suit.

Felix Torres
07-26-2004, 06:47 PM
New York Times has more details.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/26/technology/26real.html

Interesting quote, from an analyst:

"Apple has basically locked in their users," Mr. Bernoff said. "We are not used to thinking of Apple as the monopolist, but in this market they are."

I'm starting to think Real *intends* for Apple to sue...

dean_shan
07-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Why won't real just die. I've never been a fan of their stuff.

Jonathon Watkins
07-28-2004, 01:21 AM
Why won't real just die. I've never been a fan of their stuff.

Agreed, but this is fun. Break out the popcorn, settle down and lets watch what happens! :popcorn:

dean_shan
07-28-2004, 03:33 AM
Agreed, but this is fun. Break out the popcorn, settle down and lets watch what happens! :popcorn:

Yes let's. I want to see Apple lay the smackdown.