View Full Version : Sony Reduces Memory Stick Prices

Suhit Gupta
07-26-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=P3199' target='_blank'>http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=P3199</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony Electronics is making it easier and less expensive to capture and store high-quality digital video and high-resolution digital images by lowering the suggested retail price of Memory Stick PRO and Memory Stick PRO Duo™ flash media. Beginning today the 512MB full-size Memory Stick PRO media will be priced around $180. The 256MB Memory Stick PRO card will be available for about $90. Memory Stick PRO media provides high-capacity storage for a variety of digital files. Sony has also reduced the price of its 512MB Memory Stick PRO Duo media to about $250 and the 256MB Memory Stick PRO Duo media has been reduced to about $95."</i><br /><br />This is interesting news since Sony does put out good products but the annoyance has usually been their proprietary media. Of course, the duality and incompatibility within their own media doesn't help their cause. However, it is nice to see that they are reducing their prices.

Chris Gohlke
07-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Still at a 3x + $ premium to CF they are missing the boat. To me memory stick is like xD. Even if it was cheaper then CF and SD, I STILL would not use it.

Gary Sheynkman
07-27-2004, 06:40 AM
it is about time! they are still overpriced though :x

Jonathon Watkins
07-28-2004, 12:26 AM
How long can this format struggle on? :roll:

:Let it go Sony! Use CF or SD like the rest of us!

Suhit Gupta
07-28-2004, 02:53 AM
How long can this format struggle on? :roll:

:Let it go Sony! Use CF or SD like the rest of us!
Haha, perfectly put. But I don't think it is going to happen. They are just as aggressively putting out new devices with Memory Stick Pro and Duo and what not now, as they did earlier. I just don't get it. Are they hoping for customer retention this way?

Suhit