View Full Version : Canadian DVD Rental Services Compared

Jason Dunn
07-23-2004, 04:25 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.zip.ca/news/news_290504.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.zip.ca/news/news_290504.aspx</a><br /><br /></div>This will only interest my fellow Canadians, but since DVD rental services are a new thing in Canada, I wanted to pass it along. What I find so incredibly strange is that six months ago I had never heard of any DVD rental programs in Canada - I had longingly stared at the Netflicks page, wishing I could partake in the joy that is DVD rentals. Then, seemingly within a few weeks of each other, several DVD rental services popped up. This page on Zip.ca is a re-publishing of a National Post article written on May 29th, so it's a recent look at four of the leading DVD rental programs in Canada. Zip.ca happens to be the one that I use, although I was tempted to try VHQ's service when I saw that they were out of BC rather than Ontario like ZIP is. I'm really enjoying being a member of ZIP - it's fun, easy, and it's completely changed my DVD buying habits. More on that later!

Video11
07-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about giving zip.ca a try but had concerns about how the whole thing worked. This review answered some of my questions.

Jason Dunn
07-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about giving zip.ca a try but had concerns about how the whole thing worked. This review answered some of my questions.

What sorts of concerns did you have? I'm happy to answer questions. :-)

Video11
07-28-2004, 04:18 AM
Too late for questions now. I signed up for zip.ca and my first batch of four DVDs are on the way. :) I just wondered how reliable zip.ca was, being a new company and all. I didn't sign up when they first started up because I didn't want to be a test subject while the bugs were worked out. But after reading the the article (and your recommendation) I've decided to give them a try.

Jason Dunn
07-28-2004, 05:45 AM
I just wondered how reliable zip.ca was, being a new company and all.

I've had zero problems with them so far. Enjoy!

JR
07-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Jason, how long have you found the shipping times to average, being in the West?

Jason Dunn
07-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Jason, how long have you found the shipping times to average, being in the West?

3-4 business days...

JR
07-28-2004, 06:18 PM
That's not bad. I'm trying to do the math: how often would I cycle titles and what would work out to cost per disc?

How long have you been trying it out? Any thoughts on the average # of movies per month you're seeing?

Jason Dunn
07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
That's not bad. I'm trying to do the math: how often would I cycle titles and what would work out to cost per disc?

If you're looking at this purely from that standpoint, it's not significantly better than renting from Blockbuster. The advantages to me are the ease of use, picking movies from a Web site, and no late fees.

How long have you been trying it out? Any thoughts on the average # of movies per month you're seeing?

It says I joined May 20th and I've had 14 discs so far.

JR
07-28-2004, 08:23 PM
The advantages to me are the ease of use, picking movies from a Web site, and no late fees.

Absolutely, for me too. I was basically trying to find a down side. I think I'd use it fairly often, probably averaging 8 discs per month. If I do, that's only about $3 each. It sounds like shipping won't be an issue too.

Video11
07-31-2004, 08:51 AM
It sounds like shipping won't be an issue too.

My first shipment shipped from zip.ca on Monday and arrived in my mailbox on Thursday (I'm in Ontario). Each DVD arrived in its own simple paper envelope that converts into the return envelope. The DVDs inside the evelope are in a simple paper sleeve with the DVD synopsis printed on the sleeve. I guess I was expecting the packaging to be a little more robust to survive the trip through the post office. Oh well, they arrived safe and sound.

I am curious about the turn around time so I immediately put two DVDs back in the mail to zip.ca on Friday morning. But because Canada Post doesn't work weekends (or holidays) zip.ca probably won't recieve them until Wednesday. So they won't ship me anything until Thursday, which means I won't receive any new DVDs until perhaps Tuesday, missing an entire weekend. :( I suppose that once you get into a routine of watching and returning DVDs you would always have something new arriving.

So far I'm impressed. Ordering was a breeze, the selection was outstanding, the confirming emails arrived promptly, they shipped me the items I had tagged as ASAP. So far so good.

Edit: Spelling. "I" before "E" except after "C" :wink:

Jason Dunn
07-31-2004, 06:07 PM
I guess I was expecting the packaging to be a little more robust to survive the trip through the post office. Oh well, they arrived safe and sound.

I was a bit surprised as well when I first saw it, but thicker packaging = more expensive shipping, and right now they're only paying two stamps total for shipping there and back, which is nice and cheap.

I am curious about the turn around time so I immediately put two DVDs back in the mail.....I suppose that once you get into a routine of watching and returning DVDs you would always have something new arriving.

You mean you put them back in the mail without watching them? :-) Anyway, if you joined their four movie plan, you should have two more coming soon, likely arriving on Tuesday, right? Holidays will always mess with systems like this, but what can you do? The only time we've run out of movies is when we watch a four within a two day period, which is rare.

Video11
08-04-2004, 02:23 AM
You mean you put them back in the mail without watching them? :-)
LOL. No, we watched both before sending them back. Was up late though.

Anyway, if you joined their four movie plan, you should have two more coming soon, likely arriving on Tuesday, right? Holidays will always mess with systems like this, but what can you do? The only time we've run out of movies is when we watch a four within a two day period, which is rare.
Yeah, should arrive Tuesday of NEXT week. A bit of a wait, but like you say, what can you do? Shrug.

JR
08-15-2004, 04:10 AM
OK, I'm convinced. I'm signing up when I get back from my vacation.

Video11
08-15-2004, 04:37 PM
OK, I'm convinced. I'm signing up when I get back from my vacation.

So far I'm impressed with zip.ca. I've got over 100 titles in my zip-list, they have a great selection of movies and documentaries. You can tag two selections in your ziplist as "ASAP" meaning they ship them immediately, and they did. No complaints there.

The only drawback so far is waiting for CanadaPost to get the DVD's back and forth. I live in Ontario and it's taking 4 to 6 business days after I recieve zip.ca's email confirming shipment before the DVDs arrive in my mailbox. That seems excessive, but what can you do? Another shipping method would only drive up prices. Zip.ca is based in Ontario, I don't know what delivery would be like to other parts of Canada.