View Full Version : Soundcard?

Paul Martin
07-16-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm building a new system and am trying to decide whether I need to spend the money on a separate sound card or just use the builtin system. The board I'm considering, the Abit NF7-S uses the Soundstorm chip, which I understand is pretty good. Any thoughts?

Jason Dunn
07-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Unless you need something complex such a 7.1 sound, most built-in chips are decent for audio nowadays. I'd start with that and see what you think, worst case scenario you can always add on a sound card later if you really want to. :-)

Paul Martin
07-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Jason. I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's but I understand that I wouldn't be able to appreciate the Soundstorm unless I used some kind of digital connection. I'm not really sure how this works.

Jason Dunn
07-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Jason. I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's but I understand that I wouldn't be able to appreciate the Soundstorm unless I used some kind of digital connection. I'm not really sure how this works.

Don't be too sure - digital connections aren't all that much better than analog ones, and Klipsch speakers rock, so as long as the on-board sound card has an analog connection, you're good to go.

Paul Martin
07-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks!

Softtail
09-02-2004, 12:56 AM
I have the Abit NF7-s w/the optical out to a set of Logitech Z-680s and love it. I can shake the neighbors windows 8O