View Full Version : Google Buys Picasa

Suhit Gupta
07-13-2004, 05:44 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.photographyblog.com/more.php?id=3123_0_1_0_M' target='_blank'>http://www.photographyblog.com/more.php?id=3123_0_1_0_M</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Google Inc. today announced it acquired Picasa, Inc., a Pasadena, Calif.-based digital photo management company. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. "Picasa enables users to easily manage and share digital photographs, and its technologies complement Google's ongoing mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," said Jonathan Rosenberg, vice president, Product Management. "Picasa is an innovator in the field of digital photography, and we're excited that the Picasa team is joining Google.""</i><br /><br />Picasa had already announced a technology partnership with Google's Blogger service a couple of months ago. However, this is breaking news as far as I am concerned, especially since Picasa is about to release version 2 of their image browser. Google has just taken a giant step in the digital imaging niche.

Jason Dunn
07-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Google and Picasa and Blogger, all on the same team? KILLER. 8O

Mike Temporale
07-13-2004, 06:03 PM
wow 8O :mrgreen:

klinux
07-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Wow, I have not used Picasa but did read manay praises for it and heard that they are one of the best competitor to iPhoto.

Heck, I just looked it up, they are right down the street from me.

Google is heading straight for Yahoo.

Godsongz
07-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Hmmm.. wonder if this deal is what has been holding up the release of Picasa 2.0.

Jason Dunn
07-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Hmmm.. wonder if this deal is what has been holding up the release of Picasa 2.0.

Yes, I think that's the case.

Jason Dunn
07-13-2004, 11:27 PM

Yeah, but in a very tasteful way. So far Google hasn't done anything I haven't liked.

James Fee
07-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Blogger really hasn't had trouble since being picked up by Google and we all really appreciate what Google has done for the old newgroups. This should be good for the company and help them focus on making a better product and not worry about the "little things".

klinux
07-14-2004, 12:08 AM

Yeah, but in a very tasteful way. So far Google hasn't done anything I haven't liked.

Agrred. One of the major reasons why everyone likes Google is their "do no evil" attitude. What I meant is that Google wants to be where Yahoo is today soon - offer searches, paid placements ($$$!), mail, photo, news, videos, blog, hosting, etc soon - in their own Google way/style, of course.

dbk99
07-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Agree with earlier assessments. Google is obviously well on their way to their goals. I am enjoying their Gmail as well. So far they are doing everything big.