View Full Version : Ye Olde Film vs Digital Debate

Littleshmee
06-26-2004, 01:27 PM
My friend was trying to convince me to switch to film the other day. I'm having a hard time deciding if my reasons to stay digital are justified, or if I'm just making up excuses, and I'd like to know some of your opinions on the matter. Here's my reasoning:

#1. Cost. Even with my discount at Black's, a roll of film costs $5 to buy and develop. That's around 21 cents per picture. I don't even buy meat because I need to save money. If I knew I had to pay for every picture I took, I wouldn't be so inclined to bring the camera everywhere. I know, I know, digitals are a much bigger initial investment, but I'd still rather spend a bunch at once.

#2 End Result. And I'm not talking about picture quality, film still has the edge there. I'm talking about where the pictures end up. If I got prints done all the time, I'd have a box of prints, and I'm not the type to put them in albums or anything. The only thing I want print-wise is the occasional enlargement - which costs about the same whether it's film or digital. Anything else I want to do with a picture is on the computer, where I can photoshop to my heart's content. And scanning negatives still doesn't end up with the same quality as a digital image (unless you spend a pretty penny on a scanner).

Alright, I think that's about it, those're the two main reasons. Thoughts?

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Film has surpassed digital in many ways. A few areas film has the edge, eg. long exposures, sunset/sunrises, the characteristics of a few speciality films, and possibly B&W, but overall I'd say the quality edge is with digital.

Beyond film as a learning tool, I don't see much advantage to film nowadays.

Crocuta
06-26-2004, 07:32 PM
It sounds to me like you already know what you want to do and why you want to do it. If your friend weren't being persistent about the film thing, you probably wouldn't be questioning your decision at all. While we could fill (and have filled) threads debating the relative merits of the two, the bottom line is that it's your money and your photography on the line here. Your reasoning is fine, so make the decision that works for you and then get out there and take some photos. :smilecolros: