View Full Version : Engadget: "Turn your PC into a Mac"

Kent Pribbernow
06-15-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/8828351836181248/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/8828351836181248/</a><br /><br /></div>Engadget has posted a really fascinating guide to help Windows XP users transform their desktops into a Mac OSX look-alike. The results are rather surprising. Only a trained eye can tell the difference at first glance. If you lust after Apple's Aqua interface, and love the dock...check out these referenced software downloads. I suggest you hurry, before Apple's lawyers shut them down.<br /><br />Of course...I would argue you should just get a Mac instead of turning Windows in an OSX wannabe, but that's for another post. :wink:

Felix Torres
06-15-2004, 01:59 AM
Gee, just what Apple needs; a new way for Mac users to migrate to Dell PCs with even less retraining. :twisted:

Can you say 'cease-and-desist' boys and girls?

Lawsuit! Lawsuit! Lawsuit!

4PM behind the gym...

Crocuta
06-15-2004, 04:55 AM
I'd have to agree with Kent. If I wanted my computer to look like a Mac, I'd buy a Mac. (I don't, so I won't.) The only use I could think of for this would be that some Mac users who are required to use PCs at work might enjoy the familiar look and feel.

Steve
06-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I don't even do it for the sake of looking like a mac, I just do it because I like the look more. The people who do it for their love of macs are nuts :) http://www.wincustomize.org has some great ways to customize your computer as well.

`helios
06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I like having the look of the Mac with the ease of a PC. I downloaded most of the programs from the article, and I love it!

encece
06-15-2004, 03:03 PM
I tried the programs last week. Although it looks cool...I find that I dont really NEED it.

Macs have a nice interface to be sure. Everything is always very clean looking. I am a PC user and only use Macs on rare ocassions at work, usually to burn a disk since I dont have a PC burner at work.

But in the end, these programs mostly give you only the LOOK of a mac but I dont feel like I'm actually using one.

A true Mac's interface goes beyond looks. Macs seem like everything is integrated with everything else (hardware AND software), more than in a PC. Everything is slightly more intuitive in a mac than in a PC.

Though ObjectDoc is cool....it doesnt do anything that the bottom toolbar doesnt do other than the animations. And it crashed a couple of times on me.

The ObjectBar is nice but it really doesnt work like a mac in that the running program's file bar doesnt replace it when it is in the forefront. So it gets kinda confusing when you have one under the other when a program is maximised. It also kind of makes you appreciate the right click features of a PC that allow most of the same functionality as well as saving screenspace.

In the end, If I was going to use it, I'd use the main skin alone and drag my toolbar to the top of the screen. Which I tried...but I just reverted back to my windows layout anyway.