View Full Version : eHomeUpgrade - "Pioneer DCS-525 Wireless DVD Home Cinema System"

James Fee
06-10-2004, 11:00 PM
"It seems that we're getting closer to wireless home theater speaker systems becoming a reality for the mainstream consumer market. Pioneer has just announced the Pioneer DCS-525 Wireless DVD home cinema system that combines all the components of a typical home theater setup, but incorporates a one body powered digital wireless rear speaker with Direct Diffuse technology that can be placed anywhere in the room."

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/pioneer_dcs_525.jpg

The DCS-525 will be available July 2004 and will sell for about $750. I was lucky enough to put speaker cables in the walls when I built my house, but having helped those who aren't as lucky, it sure is a pain in the rear. Wireless speakers would seem to make all that threading wire, a thing of the past. Has anyone ever used similar wireless speakers before and if so how well do they work?

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Heh, a bit off-topic, but if they do get popular, expect to see $5,000 wireless transmitters and recievers that promise to "keep the warmth and tone and <please insert audiophile BS here>" of the sound. =P

nz0eBoy
06-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what supplies the power necessary to drive a subwoofer or speaker for that matter?

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-11-2004, 07:19 AM
That's a very good question.. the Pioneer press release I read seems to be rather vague on that, but it seems only the rear speaker is fully wireless. Don't ask me what a "body powered rear speaker" is though..

The Yaz
06-11-2004, 02:55 PM
I purchased a pair of wireless speakers for my parents two years ago. The idea was to let my mom listen to her cds from the 1st floor living room in the upstairs kitchen.

I only paid $100 USD for the set and you get what you pay for. The RF modulator between the transmitter and the speakers was a manual radio tuner. I guess the idea is to run the transmitter through the gamit of freqs to decide the clearest channel, and then move the spekers into the room of your choice.

They did the job, but the output is what you would expect, FM quality sound. It was supposed to be stereo, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think that's why the Pioneer set only has the rear speaker wireless. The sound quality for a support speaker does not need to be perfect, it just has to fill in the ambient sounds as the receiver requires.

The only way for a speaker to retain sound quality would be through a higher bandwith (Bluetooth or Wifi).

Steve 8)

Mojo Jojo
06-11-2004, 02:57 PM
My experience with wireless speakers comes from a year or two ago and while 'on paper' it sounds good my experience was a true let down. I bought a set to replace my rear speakers as the room is open on the left and right side and I did not wish to drill holes nor lay wire across the walking path (or along the ceiling) to the backside of the room.

As already noted the speakers may be wireless to the reciever but they do require another power source. For me this issue was reduced as power outlets were near the areas I want to place the speakers, however it still was a little bit of a dissapointment as I traded speaker wires for power wires. The good point was that the wires were not in a traveled area however.

As for clarity, the wireless signal in general was clear on most occasions. I did have some issues of interference when someone in the house was either using the microwave or the cordless phone. This was ultimately my sticking point that caused me to remove the wireless speakers from use.

The wireless speakers I was using were on the 900mhz range and as stated based on tech a year and a half ago. This technology may or may not have changed over that time frame so my experience may be out dated. Take it for what it is worth.

makicr
08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Since last post, has anyone had experience with these new wireless systems. I know that Phillips has one (LX3750w) that uses RF and Samsung has two (HT-DB390 and HT-DS690) that use bluetooth.

From what I saw from the Phillips, the rear speakers plug into an RF receiver (using standard speaker wire) and the RF receiver plugs into a wall outlet for power. As such, the rear speakers are "wireless" only in that they do not have wires that run from the rear speakers to the home theater unit. this is still a plus in my mind, as there is no way to easily run speakers from my entertainment center to the area behind my couch. FYI, the Phillips is only 300w (50w x 6) and the subwoofer is passive.

As I want more power, I was leaning towards the Samsung DS690 as it has 520w (100x3, 60x2, 100w powered subwoofer). However, I cannot find any reviews on the wirelss system (enven though I have seen one consumer complaint about a non-functioning wireless tower).

If anyone has experience (either personal or through web reference) I would appreciate any input that you can provide.

Thanks