View Full Version : Say Hello To My "Little" Friends...

Jason Dunn
06-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Well, I have the twin Dell 20.1" LCDs set up, and man are they nice monitors! :D

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/the-twins.JPG

Right now I have the one on the left hooked up to the analog port on my video card, and the one on the right is hooked up to the digital (DVI) port. What's funny is that the monitor connected to the analog port has better colour accuracy right out of the box - the white is really white, while the whites on the DVI-connected monitor are a bit yellow. I'm worry about this yet, as I'm waiting for a dual DVI video card to be released, after which I'll burn down my system and re-image everything (hopefully around the time for SP2), and calibrate the monitor colour at the same time. Initial impressions of the Dell monitors? "Holy crap those are big!" would be the first impression. Assembly was easy, lots of ports, amazingly bright and the 1600 x 1200 resolution gives me so much screen space it's scary.

Each monitor comes with two USB ports, but they're on the side of the monitor so unless I want to have cords dangling down (which I don't) they seem like a waste of space. I'd much rather have seen them in the back on the base, so it would be easier to wire up accessories. Overall I'm very pleased with them so far and wou!d give them a hearty recommendation to anyone. :way to go:

michael
06-03-2004, 02:54 AM
:werenotworthy: Very nice!

James Fee
06-03-2004, 02:55 AM
The two fellows that work for me have a pair each. Not only does the USB cables add clutter, but you'll notice while they are next to each other you don't have access to one of the monitors USB ports.

Oh, how about taking those monitor stands out back and spraypainting them black? ;)

ctmagnus
06-03-2004, 02:59 AM
Twins! :mrgreen:

mcsouth
06-03-2004, 03:36 AM
....and I thought I was lucky that my boss just sprung for a 19" LCD for me! Given that I had a 17" CRT before, I don't think that I'll complain about wanting two.....at least not for a little while! :wink:

brianchris
06-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Nice monitors indeed. I'll be the one to bite though: what is that post-it notes like application shown on the top of the right monitor?

Kent Pribbernow
06-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Let me just say that I am seething with jealousy. A pox on you!!! :P

Kent Pribbernow
06-03-2004, 04:45 AM
By the way...is that some kind of virtual sticky note app you're using? If so, what is it?

Jason Dunn
06-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Nice monitors indeed. I'll be the one to bite though: what is that post-it notes like application shown on the top of the right monitor?

StickyNote 9.0

http://www.tenebril.com/products/stickynote/index-g.html

I quite like it since I'm a visual person and having notes on my desktop helps me focus on what I need to do moreso than tasks listed in Outlook.

klinux
06-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Ageed. At work everyone has the 1901FP 19" LCD (imagine my surprise when they announced that decision) and they do look great via the analog connection.

The poor-man's version of the post-it note: http://www.3m.com/market/office/postit/com_prod/psnotes/index.html#lite

Filip Norrgard
06-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Holy macaroni! 8O That's very nice looking twin LCDs! :D

Jason, maybe you should do some "investing" in a Logitech Di Novo keyboard to go with the twins. The style and coloring of the keyboard is sure to match them better than that white Microsoft Natural Keyboard (?). Although you might be sacrificing the comfortability of the natural keyboard, you would be getting one heck of a useful, silent keyboard instead... ;)

Phoenix
06-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Very very nice! Look at those suckers!

OK, now THIS is what I want!

Click here >>> Insane in the membrane! Insane in the brain! (http://www.go-l.com/monitors/grand_canyon/features/index.htm)

(Even has optional touch screen functionality!)

Jonathon Watkins
06-03-2004, 08:56 PM
You get all the best toys Jason. :wink: Very nice.

Let us know how they feel after a few weeks.

Godsongz
06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
...I'm worry about this yet, as I'm waiting for a dual DVI video card to be released...

Which one are you waiting for? I put a Matrox Parhelia card with dual DVI ports into my video editing workstation here last month and I love it.

kiwi
06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
cool..

I also recently got a NEC 17" LCD screen. One of the LCD1765 ones.. really nice to watch Video etc - the response time is 16ms.