View Full Version : Supply of Large LCD Panels Not Enough to Meet Demand

Jason Dunn
05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/iSuppli+predicts+shortage+of+flat+panels/2100-1042_3-5221694.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/iSuppli+predicts+shortage+of+flat+panels/2100-1042_3-5221694.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div>"The global demand for large, high-quality flat-panel displays will outstrip supply by 4.3 percent in the fourth quarter, research company iSuppli/Stanford Resources said Thursday. A study released by the El Segundo, Calif.-based company found that large TFT LCDs (liquid crystal displays) will be much in demand because of increased spending associated with the holiday season. iSuppli defines a large screen as one that is more than 10 inches in diagonal length. The use of TFT (thin-film transistor) technology generally indicates a higher-quality display. If the company's prediction is correct, the fourth quarter will be the first of the year in which demand exceeds supply..."<br /><br />Low supply usually means prices will jump - it's a good thing I ordered <a href="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?category_id=5194&k=&mnf=&brandid=56&prst=&prEnd=&sku=320-1578&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Page=productlisting.aspx&spagenum=1&Pageb4Search=&InStock=&items_per_page=25&orderby=&mnfname=&brand=&SubmitSearch=&image_flag=True&refurbished=&c=ca&l=en&cs=CABSDT1&iCompatid=">twin Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP's</a> last week! :D The list price is $1549 CND, but there was the two coupons for customers in the US that dropped the price to $770 USD, so I told the nice salesman that I wanted a great deal. Much to my surprise, he gave me one! I got each monitor for $1199 CND, so while that isn't quite as good as $770 USD, that's a total savings of $700 CND on both monitors. Sweet! I'm positively giddy with anticipation over getting these new monitors - I've read fantastic things about them. I'm going to run them in analog mode for now and see how that goes, although I'm quite sure I'll be hunting for a dual DVI video card before too long...

Iglesiab
05-28-2004, 12:29 AM
What US coupon? Where? :!:

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 01:30 AM
What US coupon? Where? :!:

I think the deal's over. It happened a couple weeks ago. Here's a link (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5468) to the discussion.

Filip Norrgard
05-28-2004, 07:48 AM
What's the difference between analog (D-SUB?) and digital (DVI) for an LCD? :?

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 08:30 AM
What's the difference between analog (D-SUB?) and digital (DVI) for an LCD? :?

Remember, an LCD display uses digital signals to display images. CRT monitors uses electrons and electromagnets to pump out a picture (it's an analog image you see).

So the D-Sub is the standard VGA connector you're used to... the video card converts its digital image to an analog signal which is transferred over a VGA cable to the analog CRT monitor... so it's digital -> analog.

However, if you use an LCD screen with VGA, you're adding in an extra step. The LCD screen must convert the analog signal to a digital signal. So you have... digital -> analog -> digital.

DVI cuts out the middleman by providing a digital bridge between the video card and LCD screen. You get the best possible image quality since nothing is converted and no bits are lost.

So if you're a graphics designer who needs truly accurate colors, you shouldn't go with anything else but DVI. DVI is also good for high resolution monitors and is also good at eliminating ghosting.

Filip Norrgard
05-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the nice explanation! :D

Now, where did I see that super-3D-card with dual DVI? :lol:

Jason Dunn
05-28-2004, 05:23 PM
DVI cuts out the middleman by providing a digital bridge between the video card and LCD screen. You get the best possible image quality since nothing is converted and no bits are lost. So if you're a graphics designer who needs truly accurate colors, you shouldn't go with anything else but DVI.

With all due respect, this is something that is often said, but it's just not accurate. It was accurate years ago when the first LCD monitors came out, but the issue was quickly resolved - there is no difference whatsoever between analog and digital cables in terms of colour, crispness, or anything else...with one exception:

DVI is also good for high resolution monitors and is also good at eliminating ghosting.

This part is absolutely true - the analog cable can only handle a limited amount of data. Common consensus is that 1280 x 1024 is the highest resolution you can go with analog before you start to see ghosting on the screen due to lack of bandwidth. 1600 x 1200 LCD monitors should be run over DVI. But I'm going to test that theory out next week...

Jason Dunn
05-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Now, where did I see that super-3D-card with dual DVI? :lol:

I'm looking for one myself - I'll let you know. ;-)

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 06:11 PM
DVI cuts out the middleman by providing a digital bridge between the video card and LCD screen. You get the best possible image quality since nothing is converted and no bits are lost. So if you're a graphics designer who needs truly accurate colors, you shouldn't go with anything else but DVI.

With all due respect, this is something that is often said, but it's just not accurate. It was accurate years ago when the first LCD monitors came out, but the issue was quickly resolved - there is no difference whatsoever between analog and digital cables in terms of colour, crispness, or anything else...

Wow, I did not know that. Do you have an article that talks about this? I bought my LCD (a 17" Apple Studio Display) about 2 years ago, and that's what I learned from my research.

Mojo Jojo
05-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Do you have a price range your looking for on the Dual DVI video card? Also will you need video capture ability or will you be using a secondary device for that?

Jason Dunn
05-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Wow, I did not know that. Do you have an article that talks about this? I bought my LCD (a 17" Apple Studio Display) about 2 years ago, and that's what I learned from my research.

No articles come to mind, it's just what I know from using LCDs monitors and things I've read in Maximum PC. Do you have articles that talk about poor colour reproduction and noise in modern analog monitors? ;-)

Jason Dunn
05-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Do you have a price range your looking for on the Dual DVI video card? Also will you need video capture ability or will you be using a secondary device for that?

Not sure about the price range - I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't need TOP end, but I do play a few games so good gaming performance is important. I don't need video capture or any type of "all in one" card - just dual DVI with a good GPU.

Mojo Jojo
05-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Ah... I see. =) Usually I start my hardware research at New Egg. Not sure if they do business in Canada but they have a great search feature when looking at specifics of a product.

If you go to http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0 you will see a column on the side. Move down to ports - DVI and select 2 and it will bring back all the big players and cards that support the feature.

It looks like you may not be able to stick with Canadian craftsmanship (ATI) unless you wish to pony up for a workstation type card, or the latest model. They have a 9600 but I am not sure what type of performance you would get at high resolutions. However nVidia has a few partners that seem to have recent technology with Dual DVI and decent price tags.

I had a Gainward card recently and have been happy with their performance and price. They have the 'GAINWARD nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA' for about $181.00 plus shipping (USD) or $2,73.56... wait thats pesos (okay, okay, my wife doesn't like that joke either) $248.04 (CND).

That might fit the bill for ya.

Phoenix
06-01-2004, 09:19 AM
That's great, Jason, that you found a couple of LCD's for yourself. The Dell's do look like great screens. Cheaper than the NEC's, too. I would've gone with the Dells myself after looking at the specs, looks. and price.

NVidia is coming out with (if they haven't released it already) their dual DVI 3D graphics card called the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. I'll say, it's big, expensive ($500), but this card, at least from what I can see, is "angry"... 16 pipelines, HDTV compatible, among other features. If you want something that will drive both your panels and anything else you throw at it, this is the one for you. With what you spent on your LCD's, I'd splurge with something like this, but of course, it's your dime. Awesome card, though. Worth checkin' out.

Jason Dunn
06-01-2004, 02:39 PM
NVidia is coming out with (if they haven't released it already) their dual DVI 3D graphics card called the NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. I'll say, it's big, expensive ($500), but this card, at least from what I can see, is "angry"...

Wow....nice! I haven't seen this on the market yet - are you saying that Nvidia will be selling this card themselves, or this will be a reference design that other vendors will use? (that's usually the way it works) Either way, I'll keep an eye out...

[searches]

Ohhh....I think I've found my card:

http://www.xfxforce.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT40FUD

8O :D

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2004, 02:58 PM
That certainly is one beast of a card, in fact one could argue it is the top of the line at the moment. From what I have read you could pre-order the card with an expected release date of 6/8. However recent news seems to show the card has had a few set backs and speculation is that the date may slip with pre-orders taking first batches and market availability happening later on.

For more info:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040530115849.html

Jason Dunn
06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
That certainly is one beast of a card, in fact one could argue it is the top of the line at the moment.

No arguements there - it IS the top of the line. ;-) Although the X800-based ATI cards benchmark very close - both cards are quite equally matched from what I've read.

The real problem is whether my Shuttle can handle the power requirements... 8O I'll have to wait for the final power specs and do some research.