View Full Version : DVD Burning at 8x - Delicious!

Jason Dunn
05-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Back in June of 2002, I was working on <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735618739/jasondunn-20">Faster Smarter Digital Video</a>, and I of course wanted to cover DVD burning. DVD burners has just reached reasonable prices for consumers (sub $500), and I knew it was an important topic to cover. I contacted Pioneer, who had the much-praised A04 2x DVD-R burner on the market, and requested a loaner for the book. They were all out, and I had a looming deadline (I wrote 10 chapters in 10 weeks for that book). So, having no other choice, I dropped $585 CND on the drive at a local store, and got to work writing the book.<br /><br />Burning a full DVD at 2x was a fairly painful process, especially when you factored in the closing process on the disc. Because of that, I used my DVD burner when I wasn't there. Confused? I'd start a DVD creation process (video encoding + burning), and let it run over night. On the rare occasion when I needed to burn a DVD from footage I already had prepared, it was agonizing to watch a DVD burn at 1x - which is the speed it always seemed to default to in Pinnacle Studio 8. :roll: <br /><br />I'd put off buying a faster DVD burner for quite some time, simply because I didn't have the need to burn many DVDs. But after the prices have dropped so much lately, I couldn't resist - I picked up a cheap LiteOn 8x DVD +/- combo burner, and <a href="http://www.ritek.com.tw/">Ritek</a> sent me some 8x DVDs. I was pondering waiting for the 12x drives to hit the market, but last I heard the 12x media wasn't going to be ready until the latter part of the year, so 8x seemed like a good compromise.<br /><br />Talk about a world of difference over my 1x burning experiences! I took 3.39 GB of scanned photos, stored in fat BMP format, and burned them at 8x - the process only took 7 minutes and 15 seconds using <a href="http://www.nero.com/us/index.html">NERO Ultra 6</a>. :D It was up to 18 minutes and 48 seconds once it finished the verification process, but these were images I didn't want to lose and I needed a perfect burn.<br /><br />Long live fast DVD burners! :D

piperpilot
05-27-2004, 04:50 PM
How did you find 8x DVDs? I went to CompUSA to buy some a couple of weeks ago and the fastest they had was 4x. I have an 8x burner but only 4x DVDs. :cry:

Doug Johnson
05-27-2004, 05:21 PM
I've had serious compatibility problems burning any faster than 2x. (on either my 4x or 8x drive)

Is this common?

Jason Dunn
05-27-2004, 06:57 PM
How did you find 8x DVDs? I went to CompUSA to buy some a couple of weeks ago and the fastest they had was 4x. I have an 8x burner but only 4x DVDs. :cry:

Ritek sent me some for testing - I'll ask them where people can buy them from. :-)

Jason Dunn
05-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I've had serious compatibility problems burning any faster than 2x. (on either my 4x or 8x drive) Is this common?

Compatibility in computers or in DVD players? I've only burned one data DVD at 8x, and it read back ok in another DVD-ROM drive, but I haven't tried burning a movie yet at 8x. That's next. :-D

Zack Mahdavi
05-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Speaking about Nero, has anybody been able to find any really good deals on Nero 6 Ultra? I can't seem to find it for any less than $75 with free shipping.

Are there any burners out there that include a full copy of Nero 6 Ultra? If so, I might just buy a new burner to get Nero.. :)

Jason Dunn
05-28-2004, 04:26 AM
Are there any burners out there that include a full copy of Nero 6 Ultra? If so, I might just buy a new burner to get Nero.. :)

All the the burners I've seen come with the "lite" version....