View Full Version : Batch Retouching

dave_p_1
05-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I am new to digital photo processing and I have a question about the capabilities of programs which offer photoretouching.

How much cleanup can be done in a non-interactive batch process? I would like to be able to select a group of photos and have the program perform a color correction, brightness/contrast correction, and red eye reduction automatically while creating a new set of corrected photo files. Is this possible?

Dave

Suhit Gupta
05-26-2004, 10:41 PM
So for regular retouching - Photoshop, ACDSee, Picasa and Paint Shop Pro would top the list. However I don't know whether either of them has batch capabilities for re-touching of images. ACDSee does allow batch resizing and renaming of images but I can't find a batch retouching option. I know for a fact though that every frame in all three Lord of the Rings movies was Photoshop'ed and it was at that time I found out that Photoshop does have an API that you call on to perform operation. But that is the extent of my knowledge about this API. I don't know whether it is publically accessible or how much it costs, Google should reveal some information if you search for it.

Having said this, one of the old versions of IrfanView allowed me to change brightness and contrast of multiple images, but I haven't played with it in a couple of years, but you may want to try that as well.

Suhit

dave_p_1
05-26-2004, 11:11 PM
I swear, every time I think I know the program, IrfanView turns out to have yet another useful option that I never realized existed. It turns out you can do a number of batch processes, including such things as adjusting color, but only if you do them the same to all the photos (e.g. if you want to add 10 to the red value and subtract 5 from the blue). It will also do batch renames, resizes, conversions, and a number of other things that would be useful in many situations.

I was hoping for a batch version of the automatic picture enhancement that some programs offer.

Dave

P.S. For those who don't already have it, IrfanView should be on everyone's desktop, as a viewer if nothing else. It's feature rich and FREE.

www.irfanview.com