View Full Version : Red Eye Reduction in Hardware Coming Sooner Than Expected

Jason Dunn
05-25-2004, 07:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=P2670' target='_blank'>http://www.photographyblog.com/weblog.php?id=P2670</a><br /><br /></div>"Pixology plc, the digital photographic software expert, announces today the launch of Embedded Pixology IRISS, an automatic solution for removing the problem of red-eye instantaneously, at point of source, as the image is taken in the digital camera. Developed six months ahead of schedule in a successful collaboration with Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI), the new product is now available on TI's digital media processor, which manages the majority of a digital camera's image processing once the image is captured."<br /><br />We posted on this a few months ago, shortly after we launched this site I believe, and it seems like the technology for removing red eye has taken a big step forward. I'm very hopeful in this solution, but a bit cautious until I can see it in action. Check out the rest of the press release on PhotographyBLOG.

Todd_B
05-25-2004, 08:16 PM
The new HP 707R camera has this technology built in. I have used it a few times with fair results.

Todd

Jason Dunn
05-25-2004, 08:53 PM
The new HP 707R camera has this technology built in. I have used it a few times with fair results.

Interesting - I didn't know it was already in shipping cameras. Can you expound upon "fair" results? :-) i.e.: does it look fake?

Todd_B
05-26-2004, 01:34 AM

Interesting - I didn't know it was already in shipping cameras. Can you expound upon "fair" results? :-) i.e.: does it look fake?

It does not always find the red eye. If the red is just a small spot, the camera will report "No Red Eye Found". When it does find it, it does a greatjob of removing it. The results are very real looking.

Check it out online:

http://h30022.www3.hp.com/hpoobe/us/R707/index2.asp

I really like this camera. The adaptive light technology is great. It brings out the details in the pictures, but that'a a whole n'other subject.

Todd

SassKwatch
05-26-2004, 01:40 AM
....it seems like the technology for removing red eye has taken a big step forward. I'm very hopeful in this solution, but a bit cautious until I can see it in action.....
Guess I should go read the PR before letting the skepticism set in, 'but'.....

Every camera's simply recording reflected light, so unless this tech has a built-in retina scanner capable of long distance scanning, how is going to differentiate between light reflected from an eye and every other light particle? I'd hate to think all my future fire engine pics will have blue trucks in them. :)

Jonathon Watkins
06-01-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm with SassKwatch. I just can't see how this can work. :?

Jason Dunn
06-01-2004, 04:08 AM
I'm with SassKwatch. I just can't see how this can work. :?

Facial recognition to identify the eyes - that's the only way.

Jonathon Watkins
06-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Sure, but I'm still not convinced. I look forward to seeing this in action to see how good it is. I wonder what artifacts this introduces....